Can I Get Microdermabrasion and an IPL Photo Facial in the Same Month?

I had my first microdermabrasion on low setting last week. I made an appointment for the second one in 2 weeks. I really liked it. I also bought myself an IPL photofacial which I can use at any time but I'v been told it's best to do it before the summer months. I would like to do it soon as possible. How long do I need to wait between microdermabrasian and ipl photo facial appointments?

Microderm with IPL

+1

Microdermabrasion with IPL is just fine to do together.  They can actually compliment each other.  The IPL addresses the photodamage and the microdermabrasion can actually help exfoliate it away.  I would wait about 2 weeks in between each treatment.  The skin cells take around 2 weeks to regenerate, so this would be the optimal time.  Dr. Halem

Microdermabrasion and IPL

+1

You can do these treatments any time, even the same day. We often pre-treat IPL patients with microdermabrasion to remove additional skin debris and cells. It can help the IPL penetrate even deeper and is a good pre-treatment for people with excessive hyperpigmentation. Or you can do the treatments separately, putting a week or so in between. Some microdermabrasion treatments will consist of a facial or peel or other topicals, so if you do want to do them separately I'd make sure with the office performing the microdermabrasion which products they are using so you can tell your IPL technician in case any settings might need to be adjusted.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

IPL and microdermabrasion

+1

I think it is fine to get the IPL any time after the microdermabrasion. We often combine procedures for our patients so they receive the best outcome. For example we often combine IPL with Fraxel in the same session.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist