Microdermabrasion After Accutane?

Hi, I just recently finished my accutane 5 month period. I was taking 50mg for the final 3 months and 40 for the first two. my question is when can i have micro done so i can get rid of these ugly scars on my face. i heard i can get it done soon, if i get it done gently. Any thoughts? your help would be greatly appreciated. thank you :)

Accutane, scar, laser

+1

We have found that the skin is quite sensitive to injury for patients while they are on accutane and for several months afterwards.  After 6 months we will do gentle laser treatments, but prefer to wait 12 months for stronger treatments such as fractional CO2 laser.  The gentle laser treatments for acne scarring include cooltouch laser, smoothbeam laser and affirm multiplex laser.  Fraxel 1500 (re:store) is fairly strong so waiting a year after your last pill would be better before having a Fraxel treatment.  Microdermabrasion is wonderful, but it cannot change the appearance of a structural acne scar.

Tucson Dermatologist

No elective dermatologic procedures for 12-24 months after Accutane

+1

There is an increased risk of hypertrophic scarring for 12-24 months after finishing Accutane.  I do not recommend microdermabrasion before then.

Also, microdermabrasion is not very helpful for acne scarring unless it's just hyperpigmentation.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon