Microdermabasion or Facials at a Young Age?

im 20yrs old.i have few acne scars and keep getting acne breakouts.also my skin has got tanned because of exposure to sun.my dermatologist suggested i should go for microdermabrasion as a solution to both my concerns.should i go for it at such a young age?if not, getting facials at parlour safe and effective?i don't want to harm my skin to suffer at an older age.please help.

Facials and microdermabrasion at any age

+2

It is safe to have facials or microdermabrasion at your age.  Facials can cleanse your pores but will not help scarring.  Microdermabrasion can help superficial acne scars but if the scars are deeper, consider a fractional laser treatment such as Fraxel.  You should protect your skin from the sun.

Toronto Dermatologist

Can I Have Microdermabrasion At A Young Age?

+2

I would try the microdermabrasion & do 5 sessions, 3 weeks apart. I think that's going to be far more effective than than doing a "parlor peel," or a having a facial done at a spa. If you happen to have acne scars, a Fraxel, or a deeper chemical peel might be appropriate for you. You should decide this with the guidance of a board certified dermatologist. Your goals should be clearly stated and your intervention should be based on those. At my new york dermatology group, it's the dermatologist (not the facialist/aesthetician) who decides how to treat acne scarring in the best manner possible. Good luck. --Dr. C.

David Colbert, MD

Microdermabrasion and facials are safe treatments for skin young and old

+2

Microdermabrasion and facials are safe treatments for skin young and old. A newer treatment which is at least as effective in young skin is the Clarisonic Pro which I consider a home microdermabrasion system and is available through cosmetic physicians offices.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist