Can Microcurrent Stimulate Collagen Production?

My aesthetician told me this, is it true?

Microcurrents probably have a minimal effect

Thanks for your question. Microcurrents probably have a minimal effect on the skin and even less of an effect on the collagen under the skin. While these are used quite commonly in spas, we know that if you need collagen stimulation or enhancement, that something more significant, in most instances, will be needed. Make a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and learn what can be best done to enhance your skin.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial collagen stimulation for nonsurgical rejuvenation

Ameliee: There have been a variety of devices proposed for stimulation of facial collagen production, such as the "galvanic spas", etc.  Many of the current fillers, such as Sculptra and Radiesse suggest that they can stimulate facial collagen production and the short term results seem to indicate that they are effective, to a degree.  In seeking safe, cost-effective, nonoperative modalities for facial collagen stimulation or rejuvenation, radiofrequency has been used with variable success, Thermage, Fraxel, Viora, Exilis.  I have recently brought on Ultherapy, a FDA approved modality for nonsurgical lifting. The micro-focused ultrasound is applied to the deeper layers of the face & gradually promotes collagen stimulation, over 3-4months. In my opinion, this is the "real deal"!   

Lavinia K. Chong, MD