Facial Microcurrent: Do They Work Like a Facelift?

Also, how long after Juvederm injections (on my cheeks and nasolabial folds) do I have to wait before I can have a Microcurrent Facelift?

Does "microcurrent facelift" work?

I doubt that you will find a definitive answer to this, because it probably hasn't been studied to know how this combination affects the filler. Without data from studies, you won't really know. For that matter, it is fair to ask whether such a thing as "microcurrent facelift" actually works; there don't seem to be many scientific studies (if any) supporting that concept. Laser skin tightening or Thermage, on the other hand, have been thoroughly evaluated.

Microcurrent treatment is not even close to a Facelift

I wouldn't recommend a micro current procedure, because it really does not work. However, if you are determined to proceed, I would recommend having it done prior to having fillers. If you have already had your filler procedures, I would recommend waiting 1-2 weeks before proceding with the microcurrent procedure.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent

Microcurrents cause improvements in facial muscle tone and can be a good adjunct to juvederm injections.  you do not have to wait.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

With aging, the facial skin actually increases in surface area. The muscles of the neck also begin to lose their elasticity and will increase in length. These two events -- muscle loosening, sagging skin can only be permanently treated with a surgical facelift- to remove the excess skin and tighten the muscle. I am not a proponent of non surgical techniques as a primary method to reverse the aging face. Once the surgical procedure is successfully performed- then certain non surgical techniques can be used to add to the longevity. As a primary tool- in my opinion- these devices are useless.

Microcurrent facelift - Not Like a Facelift View Video

A facelift, or facial rejuvenation is a surgical procedure that addresses all aging issues of the face. A microcurrent procedure is nothing like a facelift, but, there can be some benefit to electrical devices during facials, however there is no comparing this to a face lift Don't fall for gimmicks Find an honest and experienced, well trained plastic surgeon.

Recently, patients have been asking what are ELITE credentials from a plastic surgeon.

The following are a few things that can distinguish some surgeons from others

1) Graduating from a top tier medical School at the top of their class.

2) Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. THis is the medical honors society. Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters

3) Formal surgical training from prestigious medical universities. The minimum number of years of surgical training for plastic surgeons to be board certified in five years. Some physicians have as many as ten years of formal surgical training. There simply is no substitute for stelar academic and practical surgical training.

4) Membership in ASAPS, the aesthetic plastic surgery society shows a plastic surgeon has an intert in, and experience in aesthetic surgery.

5) ELITE surgeons will have photgraphic evidence of their work. patients should be able to view many photos of the surgery of interest, photgraphed from three different perspectives all with similar lighting, distance from the camera and cropping

The ELITE experience extends beyoind the surgeon to the facility, and the surgical team.
The Joint Commission is an organization that provides certification to hospital OR's. The Joint Commission and AAAASF are two of the organizations that can provide certification to surgical suites. Some plastic surgeons elect to have their surgery centers dually certified.

The anesthesia experience is critical to a safe and comfortable surgical experience. A baord certified anesthesiologist can administer general or MAC anesthesia. My preference is to have a board-certified anesthesiologist at the bedside of my patients for the duration of surgery.

Of course it is essential to view many, many before and after photos as this is evidence of the talent and expertise of a surgeon.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facial Microcurrent Has A Very Different Mechanism Than Facelift.

Facial microcurrent treatments are very different from a facelift, and the results are not yet established.  The theory is that electrical stimulation using very small currents will rejuvenate the skin. This is based on the observation that all cells have a resting electrical charge and electrical current or low-dose ultrasound can stimulate cells. Research data suggests that electrical current can promote healing of soft tissue and bones. The effect current has on tightening tissue has not been quantified, but it is almost certainly much less than what can be achieved with a facelift. Before-and-after pictures published by the companies that make these machines show modest effects.  Fillers should not interfere with microcurrent treatments.

Don't Spend Money On Snake Oil

There has been a fair amount of work done with both microcurrent electrical stimulation and magnetic field stimulation on wound healing. Microcurrents, on the order of 1mA-3mA (milli Amps) have been shown to decrease healing time of open wounds by significant amounts. Typically the wounds were treated with alternating polarity (+/-) for one hour/day for weeks to months. So I think there is great potential for the use of electrical stimulation in wound healing.

As far has for face lifting there are no scientific studies. Companies have taken this wound healing data and tried to equate it to normal skin. This is a stretch at best. Most of the "data" out there "regarding microcurrent facelifts" suggest skin changes after 20 days. That a one hour treatment every day for 3 weeks. Then maybe it will help.

Don't waste your money on unproven therapies. Stick to what has been proven time and again.

Facial Microcurrents

Thank you for your question. Using a microcurrent on the facial structure involves sending a gentle electric stimulation to trigger a skin enhancement reaction from the body’s natural cells. This current is shown to mirror the body’s current, making it extremely imperceptible at the gross level. Research has shown that, after twenty days of treatment with microcurrent technology, collagen production increased by about 14%, elastin by 48%, and blood circulation by 38%.

It is doubtful, however, whether this research holds any water in reality. Granted, electrical stimulation of cells has been suggested by research to intensify healing by the body and may, over time, contribute to a moderately youthful appearance. However, nothing can compare to the effect of a full SMAS or deep plane facelift. These involve intensive surgeries which alter the muscular contours of the face and offer MUCH more long-term possibilities than simple microcurrent procedures. 

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent facelifts

First, you can do microcurrent facelifts soon after having facial injections.  I don't think that will be a problem if you wait a few days.

Does a microcurrent facial work like a facelift?  Not at all.  A facelift physically and permanently lifts muscles and skin, and fat, and removes redundant skin.  Microcurrent facials do not.

There is no harm in undergoing the microcurrent facials.  I just wouldn't spend much money on the procedures.  You are usually sold a "package" of them.  There is no money back guarantee.  Most patients do not see any lasting effects from those treatments, so end up going to the facelift.  The only thing lost is the money spent on the facials.

Gilbert Lee, MD

There are many treatments out there that over-sell and under-produce

How wonderful would it be there was a product that could take away excess skin and fat in a noninvasive way? So much money is spent to convince the public that we have such a product, but the fact of the matter is that we have nothing close to what you can achieve with surgery.

You'll see wonderful before and after pictures, but always ask yourself: Did the photographer change the lighting between before and after? Is there lens distortion in one or the other? Did the model wear the same makeup? Did the model have fillers or other treatments to complement the procedure? You get the point. Marketing techniques can be deceptive and pray on what you want to believe, not what is necessarily true.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon