Facial Microcurrent: Do They Work Like a Facelift?

Also, how long after Juvederm injections (on my cheeks and nasolabial folds) do I have to wait before I can have a Microcurrent Facelift?

Facial Microcurrent Has A Very Different Mechanism Than Facelift.

+4

Facial microcurrent treatments are very different from a facelift, and the results are not yet established.  The theory is that electrical stimulation using very small currents will rejuvenate the skin. This is based on the observation that all cells have a resting electrical charge and electrical current or low-dose ultrasound can stimulate cells. Research data suggests that electrical current can promote healing of soft tissue and bones. The effect current has on tightening tissue has not been quantified, but it is almost certainly much less than what can be achieved with a facelift. Before-and-after pictures published by the companies that make these machines show modest effects.  Fillers should not interfere with microcurrent treatments.

Does "microcurrent facelift" work?

+3

I doubt that you will find a definitive answer to this, because it probably hasn't been studied to know how this combination affects the filler. Without data from studies, you won't really know. For that matter, it is fair to ask whether such a thing as "microcurrent facelift" actually works; there don't seem to be many scientific studies (if any) supporting that concept. Laser skin tightening or Thermage, on the other hand, have been thoroughly evaluated.

Microcurrent facelift

+2
This procedure is nothing like a facelift. There can be some benefit to elecric devices during facials, but there is no comparing this to a face lift

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/gallery/mommy1.html#

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent treatment is not even close to a Facelift

+2

I wouldn't recommend a micro current procedure, because it really does not work. However, if you are determined to proceed, I would recommend having it done prior to having fillers. If you have already had your filler procedures, I would recommend waiting 1-2 weeks before proceding with the microcurrent procedure.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't Spend Money On Snake Oil

+2

There has been a fair amount of work done with both microcurrent electrical stimulation and magnetic field stimulation on wound healing. Microcurrents, on the order of 1mA-3mA (milli Amps) have been shown to decrease healing time of open wounds by significant amounts. Typically the wounds were treated with alternating polarity (+/-) for one hour/day for weeks to months. So I think there is great potential for the use of electrical stimulation in wound healing.

As far has for face lifting there are no scientific studies. Companies have taken this wound healing data and tried to equate it to normal skin. This is a stretch at best. Most of the "data" out there "regarding microcurrent facelifts" suggest skin changes after 20 days. That a one hour treatment every day for 3 weeks. Then maybe it will help.

Don't waste your money on unproven therapies. Stick to what has been proven time and again.

Web reference: http://www.aboardcertifiedplasticsurgeonresource.com/facelift/microcurrent.html

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Face lift microcurrent

+1
The results of the surgery of the face and neck con not compere to the micro current. Many patients spend a lot of money in lasers, radiofrecuencies and skin treatments hoping for results that can only be obtain with surgery. The best idea is to consult with a professional that can advise you the best solution to the problem.
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Facial microcurrent versus a face neck lift

+1
 Facial mico-recurrent involves placing electrodes in the skin and passing a low voltage current through the skin in an attempt to rejuvenate the skin itself. Further studies are needed to validate results consistent with a face lift. The face/necklift procedure involves tightening excess facial and neck skin, loose neck and facial muscles, and removal of neck fat.  It is acceptable to have a microcurrent procedure at any time after your  filler injections. For many examples of a comprehensive face/neck lift, please see the link below

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/facelift_photos.html

Microcurrent and a Facelift result

+1
Microcurrent can help provide a very mild tightening effect that last 3-6 weeks.  It does not change the appearance of sagging skin nor does it help restore volume loss.  A facelift repositions tissue to where it was in youth and then it stays there until the person in the mirror you see today returns in 7-10 years depending on the patient skin type, weight, ethnicity, etc.  

I have friends who own spas and they tell me that it isn't a facelift but more of a very mild improvement that they can offer to their clients.  Having microcurrent after the facelift may make more sense.  Juvederm can be performed before or after a microcurrent therapy.

Web reference: http://www.northsideplasticsurgery.com

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Microcurrent is Not a Facelift.

+1

Facial microcurrent has been marketed as a facelift but is certainly not a facelift. Most ethical knowledgeable plastic surgeons would feel that marketing this as a facelift is false and deceptive. While there is some data that microcurrent may assist healing of bone and soft tissue, there are no valid scientific studies showing the efficacy of this treatment on facial tissue tightening or skin rejuvenation.

There is no reason that it should interfere with prior Juvederm injections.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Non-invasive facelifts

+1

Moving sagging tissues into more appropriate and attractive positions cannot as of yet be accomplished without surgical re-positioning. There are no studies of a long term nature available on the technology you are inquiring about.