Facial Microcurrent: Do They Work Like a Facelift?

Also, how long after Juvederm injections (on my cheeks and nasolabial folds) do I have to wait before I can have a Microcurrent Facelift?

Microcurrent facelift

+4
This procedure is nothing like a facelift. There can be some benefit to elecric devices during facials, but there is no comparing this to a face lift

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facial Microcurrent Has A Very Different Mechanism Than Facelift.

+4

Facial microcurrent treatments are very different from a facelift, and the results are not yet established.  The theory is that electrical stimulation using very small currents will rejuvenate the skin. This is based on the observation that all cells have a resting electrical charge and electrical current or low-dose ultrasound can stimulate cells. Research data suggests that electrical current can promote healing of soft tissue and bones. The effect current has on tightening tissue has not been quantified, but it is almost certainly much less than what can be achieved with a facelift. Before-and-after pictures published by the companies that make these machines show modest effects.  Fillers should not interfere with microcurrent treatments.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Does "microcurrent facelift" work?

+3

I doubt that you will find a definitive answer to this, because it probably hasn't been studied to know how this combination affects the filler. Without data from studies, you won't really know. For that matter, it is fair to ask whether such a thing as "microcurrent facelift" actually works; there don't seem to be many scientific studies (if any) supporting that concept. Laser skin tightening or Thermage, on the other hand, have been thoroughly evaluated.

Richard Baxter, MD

Microcurrent therapy for facial rejuvenation

+2
Microcurrent therapy does not offer the facial rejuvenation that a facelift can. The results are not long lasting either.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent treatment is not even close to a Facelift

+2

I wouldn't recommend a micro current procedure, because it really does not work. However, if you are determined to proceed, I would recommend having it done prior to having fillers. If you have already had your filler procedures, I would recommend waiting 1-2 weeks before proceding with the microcurrent procedure.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't Spend Money On Snake Oil

+2

There has been a fair amount of work done with both microcurrent electrical stimulation and magnetic field stimulation on wound healing. Microcurrents, on the order of 1mA-3mA (milli Amps) have been shown to decrease healing time of open wounds by significant amounts. Typically the wounds were treated with alternating polarity (+/-) for one hour/day for weeks to months. So I think there is great potential for the use of electrical stimulation in wound healing.

As far has for face lifting there are no scientific studies. Companies have taken this wound healing data and tried to equate it to normal skin. This is a stretch at best. Most of the "data" out there "regarding microcurrent facelifts" suggest skin changes after 20 days. That a one hour treatment every day for 3 weeks. Then maybe it will help.

Don't waste your money on unproven therapies. Stick to what has been proven time and again.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent Facelift

+1
There is no established body of evidence that microcurrent technology actually helps with facial aging.  I would recommend sticking with a technology that has a proven track record such as Thermage or consult with a surgeon regarding a facelift.  All too often patients spend money on things with no clinical data and no meaningful improvement.  

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Microcurrent Facelift: Beware

+1
Microcurrent Facelifts have not been studied to my knowledge in a scientific manner (double blind controlled studies). I doubt that is will show significant efficacy. My recommendations as a scientist and plastic surgeon is to save your money for the real thing and seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Micro current facials are short lived

+1
Micro current facials involve the application of electrical current to the face that can stimulate the muscles to contract and does result in some tightening of the muscles and swelling. The tightening that is experienced, however is very temporary and does not offer a long term solution. Face lifting or facial rejuvenation procedures can be very long lasting and highly effective when performed with expert hands. You can expect a face lift to last often between 10-13 years with very natural results. The micro current methods and other similar techniques are short-lived and patients will be frustrated that they return to their normal state very soon after these.

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon