Facial Microcurrent: Do They Work Like a Facelift?

Also, how long after Juvederm injections (on my cheeks and nasolabial folds) do I have to wait before I can have a Microcurrent Facelift?

Facial Microcurrent Has A Very Different Mechanism Than Facelift.

+4

Facial microcurrent treatments are very different from a facelift, and the results are not yet established.  The theory is that electrical stimulation using very small currents will rejuvenate the skin. This is based on the observation that all cells have a resting electrical charge and electrical current or low-dose ultrasound can stimulate cells. Research data suggests that electrical current can promote healing of soft tissue and bones. The effect current has on tightening tissue has not been quantified, but it is almost certainly much less than what can be achieved with a facelift. Before-and-after pictures published by the companies that make these machines show modest effects.  Fillers should not interfere with microcurrent treatments.

Microcurrent facelift

+3
This procedure is nothing like a facelift. There can be some benefit to elecric devices during facials, but there is no comparing this to a face lift

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Does "microcurrent facelift" work?

+3

I doubt that you will find a definitive answer to this, because it probably hasn't been studied to know how this combination affects the filler. Without data from studies, you won't really know. For that matter, it is fair to ask whether such a thing as "microcurrent facelift" actually works; there don't seem to be many scientific studies (if any) supporting that concept. Laser skin tightening or Thermage, on the other hand, have been thoroughly evaluated.

Richard Baxter, MD

Microcurrent therapy for facial rejuvenation

+2
Microcurrent therapy does not offer the facial rejuvenation that a facelift can. The results are not long lasting either.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent treatment is not even close to a Facelift

+2

I wouldn't recommend a micro current procedure, because it really does not work. However, if you are determined to proceed, I would recommend having it done prior to having fillers. If you have already had your filler procedures, I would recommend waiting 1-2 weeks before proceding with the microcurrent procedure.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't Spend Money On Snake Oil

+2

There has been a fair amount of work done with both microcurrent electrical stimulation and magnetic field stimulation on wound healing. Microcurrents, on the order of 1mA-3mA (milli Amps) have been shown to decrease healing time of open wounds by significant amounts. Typically the wounds were treated with alternating polarity (+/-) for one hour/day for weeks to months. So I think there is great potential for the use of electrical stimulation in wound healing.

As far has for face lifting there are no scientific studies. Companies have taken this wound healing data and tried to equate it to normal skin. This is a stretch at best. Most of the "data" out there "regarding microcurrent facelifts" suggest skin changes after 20 days. That a one hour treatment every day for 3 weeks. Then maybe it will help.

Don't waste your money on unproven therapies. Stick to what has been proven time and again.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Micro current facelift

+1
If the micro current facelift is a non surgical lift, I can assure you it doesn't work.  I have yet to see thenon surgical approach to a facelift that really works.  If it really existed, I would be out of business.  Sounds like more hope and hype than reality.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

There's No Substitute for Surgery

+1
Microcurrent treatments do not work like a facelift. There is no substitute for surgery if you need a facelift. If you are not a candidate, then the microcurrent may be an option, but only if you do not have significant signs of facial aging. You will not get a surgical result. If you are going to proceed with microcurrent treatments, I would wait at least 1 week after any filler injections before proceeding. Good luck!

Louis C. Cutolo, Jr., MD, FACS

+1
The scientific evidence behind the role of microcurrent in rejuvenation is not convincing at this time and you can have fillers any time after the use of microcurrent.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon