Facial Microcurrent: Do They Work Like a Facelift?

Also, how long after Juvederm injections (on my cheeks and nasolabial folds) do I have to wait before I can have a Microcurrent Facelift?

Does "microcurrent facelift" work?

I doubt that you will find a definitive answer to this, because it probably hasn't been studied to know how this combination affects the filler. Without data from studies, you won't really know. For that matter, it is fair to ask whether such a thing as "microcurrent facelift" actually works; there don't seem to be many scientific studies (if any) supporting that concept. Laser skin tightening or Thermage, on the other hand, have been thoroughly evaluated.

Microcurrent treatment is not even close to a Facelift

I wouldn't recommend a micro current procedure, because it really does not work. However, if you are determined to proceed, I would recommend having it done prior to having fillers. If you have already had your filler procedures, I would recommend waiting 1-2 weeks before proceding with the microcurrent procedure.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

With aging, the facial skin actually increases in surface area. The muscles of the neck also begin to lose their elasticity and will increase in length. These two events -- muscle loosening, sagging skin can only be permanently treated with a surgical facelift- to remove the excess skin and tighten the muscle. I am not a proponent of non surgical techniques as a primary method to reverse the aging face. Once the surgical procedure is successfully performed- then certain non surgical techniques can be used to add to the longevity. As a primary tool- in my opinion- these devices are useless.

Microcurrent facelift - Not Like a Facelift View Video

A facelift, or facial rejuvenation is a surgical procedure that addresses all aging issues of the face. A microcurrent procedure is nothing like a facelift, but, there can be some benefit to electrical devices during facials, however there is no comparing this to a face lift Don't fall for gimmicks Find an honest and experienced, well trained plastic surgeon.

Recently, patients have been asking what are ELITE credentials from a plastic surgeon.

The following are a few things that can distinguish some surgeons from others

1) Graduating from a top tier medical School at the top of their class.

2) Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. THis is the medical honors society. Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters

3) Formal surgical training from prestigious medical universities. The minimum number of years of surgical training for plastic surgeons to be board certified in five years. Some physicians have as many as ten years of formal surgical training. There simply is no substitute for stelar academic and practical surgical training.

4) Membership in ASAPS, the aesthetic plastic surgery society shows a plastic surgeon has an intert in, and experience in aesthetic surgery.

5) ELITE surgeons will have photgraphic evidence of their work. patients should be able to view many photos of the surgery of interest, photgraphed from three different perspectives all with similar lighting, distance from the camera and cropping

The ELITE experience extends beyoind the surgeon to the facility, and the surgical team.
The Joint Commission is an organization that provides certification to hospital OR's. The Joint Commission and AAAASF are two of the organizations that can provide certification to surgical suites. Some plastic surgeons elect to have their surgery centers dually certified.

The anesthesia experience is critical to a safe and comfortable surgical experience. A baord certified anesthesiologist can administer general or MAC anesthesia. My preference is to have a board-certified anesthesiologist at the bedside of my patients for the duration of surgery.

Of course it is essential to view many, many before and after photos as this is evidence of the talent and expertise of a surgeon.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facial Microcurrent Has A Very Different Mechanism Than Facelift.

Facial microcurrent treatments are very different from a facelift, and the results are not yet established.  The theory is that electrical stimulation using very small currents will rejuvenate the skin. This is based on the observation that all cells have a resting electrical charge and electrical current or low-dose ultrasound can stimulate cells. Research data suggests that electrical current can promote healing of soft tissue and bones. The effect current has on tightening tissue has not been quantified, but it is almost certainly much less than what can be achieved with a facelift. Before-and-after pictures published by the companies that make these machines show modest effects.  Fillers should not interfere with microcurrent treatments.

Don't Spend Money On Snake Oil

There has been a fair amount of work done with both microcurrent electrical stimulation and magnetic field stimulation on wound healing. Microcurrents, on the order of 1mA-3mA (milli Amps) have been shown to decrease healing time of open wounds by significant amounts. Typically the wounds were treated with alternating polarity (+/-) for one hour/day for weeks to months. So I think there is great potential for the use of electrical stimulation in wound healing.

As far has for face lifting there are no scientific studies. Companies have taken this wound healing data and tried to equate it to normal skin. This is a stretch at best. Most of the "data" out there "regarding microcurrent facelifts" suggest skin changes after 20 days. That a one hour treatment every day for 3 weeks. Then maybe it will help.

Don't waste your money on unproven therapies. Stick to what has been proven time and again.

There are many treatments out there that over-sell and under-produce

How wonderful would it be there was a product that could take away excess skin and fat in a noninvasive way? So much money is spent to convince the public that we have such a product, but the fact of the matter is that we have nothing close to what you can achieve with surgery.

You'll see wonderful before and after pictures, but always ask yourself: Did the photographer change the lighting between before and after? Is there lens distortion in one or the other? Did the model wear the same makeup? Did the model have fillers or other treatments to complement the procedure? You get the point. Marketing techniques can be deceptive and pray on what you want to believe, not what is necessarily true.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Facial Microcurrent does not work like a facelift

No, these two procedures are very different and should not be compared. A Facial Microcurrent benefits the blood flow to the skin. However, the effects only last hours and don’t effect the position or elasticity of the skin or the structures that have changed due to ageing. A Facial Microcurrent will stimulate facial muscles and temporarily improve facial tone and blood

Sorry

unfortunately, like most like a lot of things, this is more hype than promise. There is not much to support the concept . You may be better served to view other options. In non invasive technology is more of an option that surgery, try adding volume first.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Microcurrent vs. Facelift

Hi and thanks for your question.  Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't believe that there is any benefit to facial micro current.  The issue with facial aging is that gravity has caused the skin, fatty tissue and muscles of the face to sag.  The best way to take care of these issues is to surgically lift the sagging tissues.  If you don't want surgery, Ultherapy which is a  non-invasive treatment that uses ultrasound waves to lift and tighten is the next best thing.  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon