Facial Microcurrent: Do They Work Like a Facelift?

Also, how long after Juvederm injections (on my cheeks and nasolabial folds) do I have to wait before I can have a Microcurrent Facelift?

Does "microcurrent facelift" work?

+4

I doubt that you will find a definitive answer to this, because it probably hasn't been studied to know how this combination affects the filler. Without data from studies, you won't really know. For that matter, it is fair to ask whether such a thing as "microcurrent facelift" actually works; there don't seem to be many scientific studies (if any) supporting that concept. Laser skin tightening or Thermage, on the other hand, have been thoroughly evaluated.

Microcurrent facelift - Not ike a Facelift View Vide0

+2
A facelift, or facial rejuvenation is a surgical procedure that addresses all aging issues of the face. This procedure is nothing like a facelift, but, there can be some benefit to elecric devices during facials, however there is no comparing this to a face lift Dob=n;'t val for gimmicks Find an hinest and exoeirenced plasic surgeon,THis list of questons will help. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facial Microcurrent Has A Very Different Mechanism Than Facelift.

+2

Facial microcurrent treatments are very different from a facelift, and the results are not yet established.  The theory is that electrical stimulation using very small currents will rejuvenate the skin. This is based on the observation that all cells have a resting electrical charge and electrical current or low-dose ultrasound can stimulate cells. Research data suggests that electrical current can promote healing of soft tissue and bones. The effect current has on tightening tissue has not been quantified, but it is almost certainly much less than what can be achieved with a facelift. Before-and-after pictures published by the companies that make these machines show modest effects.  Fillers should not interfere with microcurrent treatments.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Microcurrent treatment is not even close to a Facelift

+2

I wouldn't recommend a micro current procedure, because it really does not work. However, if you are determined to proceed, I would recommend having it done prior to having fillers. If you have already had your filler procedures, I would recommend waiting 1-2 weeks before proceding with the microcurrent procedure.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't Spend Money On Snake Oil

+2

There has been a fair amount of work done with both microcurrent electrical stimulation and magnetic field stimulation on wound healing. Microcurrents, on the order of 1mA-3mA (milli Amps) have been shown to decrease healing time of open wounds by significant amounts. Typically the wounds were treated with alternating polarity (+/-) for one hour/day for weeks to months. So I think there is great potential for the use of electrical stimulation in wound healing.

As far has for face lifting there are no scientific studies. Companies have taken this wound healing data and tried to equate it to normal skin. This is a stretch at best. Most of the "data" out there "regarding microcurrent facelifts" suggest skin changes after 20 days. That a one hour treatment every day for 3 weeks. Then maybe it will help.

Don't waste your money on unproven therapies. Stick to what has been proven time and again.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrents No Substitute for Facelift

+1
Hi peepsey13. Although facial microcurrent treatments may sound appealing, device manufacturers have yet to develop a non-surgical procedure that can compete with surgical facelift. That's because only facelift surgery allows a plastic surgeon to physically reposition the muscles and other underlying tissues for a deep, thorough result. Some non-surgical treatments that use laser or radiofrequency energy can improve the condition of the skin and replenish diminished collagen, but these services are better options for younger patients with more mild signs of aging. If you're considering a non-surgical treatment to rejuvenate your face, consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon and choose an option that's been approved by the FDA.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Facial Microcurrent and facelifts

+1
+1
The idea of micro-current and electrical stimulation to the facial muscles to "firm up" or tighten the face does not work. It is a scam to call it a non surgical facelift, it isn't. The facial muscles are not striated muscles. They do not hypertrophy, grow or get bigger with stimulation or exercise. Your eyelids aren't bulging with muscles because you are blinking 25,000 times a day. Please consult a board certifidied facial plastic /plastic surgeon to be evaluated.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Options

+1
There are certainly options for you when researching facelift procedures. My suggestion is to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon. In this consultation, you should be able to determine what will provide you with your desired results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Only Facelift Works Like a Facelift

+1
Thanks for your question. At present, there is no non-surgical equivalent to facelift surgery, although skin tightening treatments such as the one you've described can yield some results for people with more mild facial aging. Be sure to do your research before undergoing any cosmetic treatment, and be wary of a procedure or product that claims to offer facelift-quality results without surgery. Instead, choose a treatment that's been thoroughly researched, and be sure to undergo it at the office of an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Good luck!

Howard Silverman, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon