Is Micro-pigmentation an Effective Method to Camouflage a Tummy Tuck Scar?

I am going to have a tummy-tuck in a few weeks and I want to be proactive when dealing with the future appearance of my scar, would micro-pigmentation help me achieve a scar-less appearance to my tummy- tuck?

Tattoo to camouflage your tummy tuck scar!

+2

Although the scar for a tummy tuck is long, visible and permanent, it often fades over the course of a year. Many of our patients have seen professional tattoo artists to place a floral line (flowers and vines/stems) along their scar to celebrate it! and this camouflages the scar completely and it actually looks pretty sexy! This may be a good option if you don't like your scar.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

With appropriate scar management, your tummy tuck scar should be a more than reasonable trade for your outcome

+1

Hi there-

It is very rare for a patient (in my practice) to feel that the very thin, light colored scar they get is not a fair trade for the lovely new shape they enjoy.

Scar management techniques do work and are necessary to achieve the best outcomes though- ask your surgeon what techniques he or she prefers.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Micro pigmentation (tattoo) is a poor method to conceal a scar after tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tuck does leave a low transverse scar at the pantie line which should be positioned so that it is easily covered by clothing. Even after the best of healing the scar may still appear white or pale in color and will not tan. It is tempting to think that light over-tattooing will help conceal the scar, and there was a time years ago that scar tattooing was accepted as an alternative, especially facial scars. The skin tones and shades however are very difficult to match, and in fact will change by season, sun exposure, and by aging over time. The micro pigmentation or tattoo is easy to pick up and can become more noticeable than the scar alone. My advice is to wait after tummy tuck for full scar maturity and healing; this may take up to two years. The better alternative is self tanners or a spray tan if you are out and about with very little on. You will get a better overall skin tone, and some sun protection as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Wait and see how it will heal first

+1

In many occasions the tummy tuck scar heals very well and there is not need to use micro-pigmentation. I would wait until the surgery is done, use silicone sheets if needed. I had one patient who did this for a body lift scar and it turned really nice.Best of luck with your surgery!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Tummy tuck scars

+1

A tummy tuck does require a long scar, and it is understandable that so many people have concerns about it. It is impossible to predict what your scar will look like, and whether or not micro-pigmentation will help to decrease its appearance. In most patients, I advise using the scar creams starting a week after surgery, and then waiting until you are at least a year from surgery prior to trying pigmentation or laser treatments. The scars do fade with time, although they will not disappear. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS