Micro-Cannulas for Lip Enhancement. Do They Produce Better Results?

Hello, I would like to gain some insight into the use of micro-cannulas for lip injection fillers. There seems to be a lot mixed reviews. A few clinics & surgeries that I rang claimed micro-cannulas produces smoother results with minimal discomfort, brusing & pain than regular needle injections. Whilst others claim that they're not as precise & are slightly more uncomfortable than needles. And that more training is needed to be artful & precise when using micro-cannulas. What are your thoughts?    

Micro-cannulae for Lip Enhancement

+3

I use both micro-cannulae and needles for lip enhancement. The main reason for using the micro-cannulae is to reduce bruising. I have seen minimal difference, however, between the two. Also, if you are trying to elevate a line, the blunt cannula will not work, since the injection needs to be into the dermis. For lip enhancement, I would concentrate on the results obtained, not what needle is used.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Micro cannulas for lip injections

+2

I use both micro cannulas and regular needles for filler injections in all areas of the face including the lips. I can unequivocally tell you that bruising, discomfort, and cosmetic results are entirely dependent on the skill of the injecting physician and not on the type of needle or cannula they use. The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation treatment has improved with Microcannulas

+1

I have seen a significant drop in the amount of bruising occurring in patients after filler injections when using a microcannula. Since the microcannula is blunt tipped, it is less likely to rupture a vessel, leading to bruising. A microcannula is flexible, which also allows for direct access to the area being treated and more precision. Different sizes of the cannula can be selected based on filler being used and the area being treated. I think that microcannulas are specifically useful in sensitive and tender areas of the face, such as the lips or under the eyes. There is a certain technique and training needed when using microcannulas so it’s important to ask your doctor how long he/she has been using microcannulas and what you can expect during and after treatment. Overall, so long as you physician has mastered the technical nuances of microcannula results, I believe the results are clearly superior. I hope that you find this information useful!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microcannulas can produce pleasing results for lip enhancement.

+1

I currently utilize microcannulas for most of my facial injections.  I especially enjoy using them for correcting lower eyelid tear trough deformities.  I do also utilize the microcannulas for lip enhancement.  It does require some finesse and it is important to find an injector who is quite comfortable with these techniques.  It definitely is beneficial to avoid any bruising that  may occur when using sharp needles.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Micro or Blunt Cannulas for Lip Enhancement-No question there is less bruising and swelling

+1

I have been using the blunt cannulas for lips since early 2011.  My experience shows that the discomfort, swelling, and overall satisfaction with the procedure is much better with the cannulas.  Upper lip lines can be addressed with a horizontal technique, shown in the video attached.  There is a little less precision with the cannula, but in the right hands, the lips look extremely natural, and the downtime is minimal.  With needles and bruising, you can be out of commission for over a week, but with the cannulas, you can go right to lunch.  Steve Weiner, MD, Destin, Florida, Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Surgeon's technique important factor in lip enhancement

+1

Lip enhancement is as much of an art as it is a science.  In my experience, I find that using a small gauge needle provides excellent natural looking results.  It’s important to select a surgeon who understands the natural arch and anatomy of the lips to provide the most natural inviting look.  Adding the micro-cannulas does not improve anyone’s technique, however the manufacturers state that it may minimize bruising.  Nevertheless, anytime you are piercing the skin with a needle you have the opportunity for redness, swelling and bruising.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers using micro cannulas

+1

I do alot of fat injections for the lips.  I typically don't like to use cannulas for lip fillers because of the extra discomfort.  I also think that there is more bruising and swelling at times with the cannula technique and the downtime can be even longer. I reserve the cannulas for fat injections. Below is a video on permalip augmentation that could be a more longer lasting option for you.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Micro cannula injectoin of the lip

+1

I assume you mean fat injection which is done all the time. The problem is that you may have poor take in some areas and not others.  Fillers although temporary usually give a more reliable result initially.  Fat is permanent and usually requires a few treatments to get the desired result.

Lip augmentation

+1

Fat transfer to the lip is extremely surgeon and technique dependant.

annulas is better.In the lip and the tear trough the smaller the packets of fat the better the result and the longer  lasting. These small fat cells acquire blood supply fast and the take of the graft is better.

So micro lipo canulas is better Not necessarly less pain or bruising (That is a marketing ploy)

I some times use the infiltration cannula to harvest the fat . That gives small packets of fat, but the procedure takes a long time and a lot of effort from me.