Do I Have Unrealistic Expectations? (photo)

(Please disregard the lines from my jeans in photos) I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair, lipo and hernia repair June 19, 2013. I don't think my lower tummy looks as good as it should. I have not gained weight since my surgery and continue to exercise. Do I need a revision as well as dog ear removal? My tummy still hangs when I sit or bend over. One of the things I was most excited about was to not have hanging skin. Do I have an unrealistic expectation?

Do I Have Unrealistic Expectations?

+1

More skin can be removed. In extremely lax skin, a second procedure to remove more skin can be more common. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Touchup of Tummy Tuck Result

+1

At some point, your tummy tuck could be optimized by some additional skin removal, liposuction of the overall abdominal flap and excision of the dogears. It is not rare to require a second stage touchup to get the best abdominal shaping possible.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck results: how tight can you get?

+1

From your pictures, you could certainly have some additional skin removed, and that could be done as a relatively minor revision under local anesthesia and moderate sedation with minimal down time. I would say that after 6 months you cannot expect further improvement in swelling. I would discuss with your surgeon. It is always possible to remove a little skin as a second procedure, but there are limits as to how much can safely be removed at the time of the original operations, and there are other considerations that may have caused the surgeon to be more conservative. It does look like you have some puckering or dog ears laterally, and they can easily be corrected even if no more skin is removed centrally.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck expectations

+1

Your abdomen still looks a little swollen and may improve with time. However, I doubt the skin will ever be really tight unless you have a revision. Discuss your concerns with your PS. He or she will likely ask you to wait longer, but most docs would revise a case like yours. Hope it goes well.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon