Can my abdominal hernia be rapaired during an abdominoplasty? (photo)

Looking to have an abdominoplasty to repair loose skin from pregnancy several years ago. A concern I have is a small hernia, which is coming through scar tissue from a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Is this something that can be repaired at the time of the tuck? Can my plastic surgeon fix the hernia, or would a second surgery be required for the repair? Once repaired, how fragile is that hernia? I am a very athletic individual and worry about popping the hernia again.

Hernias and abdominoplasties

+2
Hernias are frequently repaired at the time of abdominoplasty and unless very complex should be able to be handled by the plastic surgeon as part of the procedure. The exposure Is excellent, and usually there is some looseness to the fascia which makes a repair straightforward without the need for mesh.   The recurrence rate should be very low even in an athletic individual.  A hernia from a previous laparascopy should not be complicated, and should not need mesh with the wide exposure and ability to even out tension from sutures that the exposure gives you.

Can my abdominal hernia be rapaired during an abdominoplasty?

+2
Small hernias can be repaired at the same time as the tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck would remove loose skin and would tighten the muscles.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Hernia Repair

+2
Thank you for your question. Yes, small hernias can be repaired at the time of a tummy tuck. However, depending on the credentials of the plastic surgeon, a general surgeon may be required at the time of the surgery to perform the hernia repair. But it is very common to  have them done at the same time. Good luck! 

N. Bill Aydin, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with hernia repair often requires 2 surgeons

+1
Thank you for your question and photograph.  Yes during the course of abdominoplasty in abdominal hernia repair can be done.

In my practice I prefer to have a general surgeon who frequently repairs abdominal hernias pesent in the operating room during the course of the abdominoplasty to repair the hernia.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1
Yes! As a surgical team of a PS and General Surgeon this incisional hernia can be repaired during the TT. I might use a mesh but over the internet cannot tell. Restriction to activity would be 6 weeks post op./// 

Hernias are often repaired during tummy tuck

+1
Hernias are often repaired during muscle repair in tummy tuck procedures. How fragile depends on the location and cause. Upper abdominal hernias have a higher recurrence in those who have had significant weight loss and mesh might be required. Ask both your plastic surgeon and general surgeon to compare approach and expectations.

Abdominal wall hernias are easily fixed during an abdominoplasty.

+1
In abdominoplasty provide excellent exposure for any repair of an abdominal wall hernia.Umbilical hernias are very often. Encountered.

Hernia Repair with Tummy Tuck

+1
It is a little hard to identify the hernia on your photo so I will speak in generalities. Small hernias are very frequently repaired at the time of a tummy tuck. Small hernias repaired with sutures and not mesh may be more likely to recur but the risk of mesh is avoided.  Careful return to exercise after surgery can help prevent recurrence of your hernia. Best to ask a board certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate you in person. There is no replacing the value of a good exam.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon