Itching and Red Along Incision?

I am almost 2wks PO (TT and lipo of flanks). I have redness, extreme itching, and slight swelling along incision. Hoping their I'd no infection trying to set in. Is there sometime other than neosporin I should be putting on it?

Itching, Redness, and Swelling along Tummy Tuck Incision

+2

Itching, redness, and swelling along an incision may be an infection and should always be evaluated by the plastic surgeon.

Itching and redness along surgical incision

+2

Itching and redness along your surgical incision two weeks post-op could be early signs of an infection or it could be an allergic reaction to the creams (neosporin in your case) that you are putting on the incision.  If you have fevers or chills of any kind, worsening pain or redness, or funny drainage from the wound, I would worry about an infection and I would call your surgeon immediately.  If you are concerned that this is an allergic reaction to the neosporin, I would stop using it and discuss with your surgeon an alternative.  I also would discuss potential anti-itch things such as Benadryl that you could use.  I would not start any new medicine without talking to your doctor first though.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Itching and Red Along Incision

+2

From your question, I suspect the likeliest cause is an allergic reaction to the tapes assuming there were some placed at surgery. A wound infection is a possibility. Without photos it is hard to male much of a guess. 

But my recommendation would be the same with or without photos--a call to your surgeon, who will evaluate whether or not you need to be seen.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Tummy Tuck incision red and itching should be seen by your plastic surgeon

+1

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you see your plastic surgeon for an examination and follow surgeons advice.

Generally speaking I expect tummy tuck incisions to be improving at 2 weeks. Redness and itching can indicate an infection which must be ruled out by your surgeon.

In some cases redness and itching can indicate the beginning of a hypertrophic scar.

If your surgeon examines you and determines that you do not have an infection be sure to discuss options for treatment of hypertrophic scar. If you do not have an infection and your surgeon feels you have a hypertrophic scar, 1540 fractional erbium non-ablative laser treatments instituted at 6 weeks can be helpful as can IPL treatments if prescribed by your surgeon

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Itching and Red after Tummy Tuck?

+1

What you are describing may be an allergic reaction  but only physical examination will allow for a diagnosis and treatment recommendations.

However, as online consultants, we are not able to provide you with any real reassurance  or treatment advice;  only your plastic surgeon will be able to do so.

Best wishes for an otherwise uneventful recovery.

Itching and Redness along Incision.

+1

Thank you for your question.  Redness and itching can be a sign of many things, but if you have it, you should follow up with your plastic surgeon.  I recommend you call him and have him examine the area for diagnosis and treatment.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon