Can Hyaludonadaise Dissolve Native Tissue in Non-injected Areas?

I had approx 40 units of Vitrase injected into the left side of my chin/lower jaw to reduce a slight juv overfill over a week ago. It is continuing to dissolve the juvederm but I now have an unusual indent on my upper left cheek. I am told this is not possible but can't ignore the coincidence. I am very nervous about this as juv is still dissolving in the injection area and wonder what other side effects can come of it.

Hyaluronidase affecting non-injected areas

+1

Hyaluronidase does not migrate from the injected area. It begins to work immediately and is done working in about 24-48 hours. It's not continuing to dissolve anything - it doesn't have that kind of lifespan. If you are having issues in other non-injected areas, I would speak to your injector, but again, the hyaluronidase is done working and it doesn't travel from the jaw into the upper cheek.

Can hyaluronidase dissolve normal tissue?

+1

Hyaluronidase, such as Vitrase, will only dissolve hyaluronic acid products, like Juvederm.  It will not affect the native tissues.  I would recommend discussing your issue with your injecting physician to see if there may be another cause.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Vitrase dissolve anything besides the Juvederm?

+1

Hi MD.  Vitrase should only dissolve hyaluronic acid based products like Juvederm, Restylane and Perlane, not native skin tissue.  We would reference back to your before pictures if they were taken. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD