How Early Can Surgery Happen for Ptosis?

My daughter is 6 weeks old and when born I was told that her right eye was not opening because its swollen and bruised from how she was positioned in the womb or from birth. Now her right eye is only opened 1/3 of the way. How early can they do surgeries on babies with ptosis? Im just wooried that her eye isn't going to deveople properly.

Congenital Ptosis requires early evaluation

+2
Congratulations on your new baby. Since your child's eyelid maybe blocking her vision a complete evaluation is warranted. Your pediatrician can give you a recommendation for a pediatric ophthalmologist. If the eye itself is healthy and the vision is not being blocked by the eyelid I usually do not operate until the child is older (prior to the start of nursery school).

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

She needs to be assessed now.

+2

If the eyelid does not open, surgery is done at this age to encourage visual development.  The key is having her assessed by a pediatric ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon.  This should no be managed by a general ophthalmologist.   Because visual development is critical at this age, this is best managed in a University setting.  The University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Center has great care for something like this.  Everyday matters.  An expert assessment will determine if your daughter is able to open the eye enough for careful observation or if surgery is needed.  At the Kellogg Eye Center, I recommend Dr. Kahana.

Ptosis repair done in infancy should be performed by someone who specializes in the problem.

+1

First of all the diagnosis of the problem needs to be established. There different approaches to ptosis of the upper lid is congenital. Once this is been established the proper operative strategy is designed.

Surgery for ptosis in infant

+1

If you haven't already, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) to have your infant examined.  If there is not a functional problem at present, it would be unlikely that any surgery would be performed at 6 weeks old.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon