Michigan Doctors: Most Reasonable Explantation Cost with No Frills For Breast Implant Removal?

Hello, I'm a full time medical student that has no income, but desperately needs implants removed. I've checked around my area and the cost is $3-4k just to explantation without a lift? That seems exorbitant for a 30 minute procedure, no? Are there any doctors in Michigan that will do a no frills, local anesthetic with a sedative/twilight explantation for a much cheaper price? I have 350 cc saline implants, had a lift already, and have excellent breast tissue. Thanks for any reply!

+1

There may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Again, I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/breast-implant-removal.htm

Plastic Surgical Residency Program - often a low cost option

+1

If money is the critical issue of whether you can have this procedure then consider having it done through your Medical School affiliated University Plastic Surgery Residency program. They often can offer reduced rates for a resident to do the surgery under the guidance of a faculty member. Other ways to reduce costs if appropriate to your situation is to have the procedure done under local anesthesia and in an outpatient surgery center then within a hospital if your health and surgeon and PMD indicate this is a reasonable option. 

Michigan Doctors

+1

You might try Dr Michael Schenden. I think he's in Troy. He is a close friend of mine and an excellent surgeon. You could probably call his office and let him know your situation. I think it likely he could give you a much better price. Good Luck.