Do I Need to Be Concerned with This Small Hole in my Incision? (photo)

I am 7 wks post opp and a couple days ago I had a small bump on incision which popped and now I have a small hole. I thought it must have been an ingrown hair but it looks deep to me. I can't see to well. I just need to know if I should talk to my ps on Monday or not to worry. I cleaned it and put a price if gauze and taped it on.

Tummy Tuck Suture Reaction/Hole

+1

Suture reactions are incredibly common after tummy tuck surgery and typically occurs between 3 and 6 weeks after surgery. It would be good to see your plastic surgein as the suture most likely needs to be removed for the hole to heal.

Infected suture knots after an abdominoplasty

+1

This could be an infected suture or an ingrown hair.  Most likely it is an infected suture knot.  In order for the wound to heal the suture knot needs to be removed since it is acting like a foreign body.

7 weeks post-op

+1

Small wounds such as that are more of a nuisance than a concern.  If your procedure involved implants, it would be a little more alarming if it progressed.  Simple wound care should allow it to resolve and if its from spitting sutures, don't be surprised if more of them develop.

Curtis Wong, MD

Suture spit after tummy tuck

+1

Sometimes dissolving suture will work to the surface and spit like a pimple rather than dissolve neatly and they are called suture abscesses. If all the suture material doesn't come out you can have a small hole until the suture is gone. Keep the area clean and covered, and see your surgeon to clean out the remaining suture to help speed healing.

Suture Spitting?

+1

Dear SC,

thank you for your post.  Most patients absorb the dissolvable sutures that are placed during an abdominoplasty, but some patients push the sutures to the surface like a pimple or ingrown hair and reject them, especially if the sutures are relatively superficial.  You may have other sutures that do the same thing.  Ask your surgeon to remove any remnant suture in that hole and follow his wound care instructions.  This will heal relatively quickly.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Minor wound issues common after abdominoplasty.

+1

The minor problems with the one should heal uneventfully provided they are kept clean in the interim. These are fairly common after abdominoplasty.

Do I Need to Be Concerned with This Small Hole in my Incision?

+1

Yes, but your concern should be modest.

This appears to be reaction to the dissolving sutures which have come to the surface. It looks like a few others are involved besides the one you note. 

This is a self-limiting problem, but your surgeon can hasten the recovery by removing the involved sutures. Call and arrange to be seen. All the best. 

Suture spitting

+1

This is likely a suture reaction but I would see your surgeon to make sure you do not have anything else going on.  

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Small hole in the Incision after surgery

+1

The small hole is from internal sutures dissolving and your body's reaction to the sutures. These small holes will usually heal with minimal scarring. You may see your plastic surgeon to remove any additional sutures. Good Luck.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Small opening in the incision after surgery

+1

This type of problem is common when buried absorbable sutures are used.  There is no infection, merely the reaction to the dissolving knots.  Use warm compresses and moisturizers (aloe is best because it is anti-inflammatory) and everything will be okay.

Daniel Greenwald, MD