Do I Have Keloid or Hypertrophic Scar? (photo)

I did tummy tuck and breast augmentation 9 months ago and ive been using gel sheet and vitamin E. Im not happy with my scars of my tummy tuck , i am scheduled 8 oct to a doctor to help me with my scar ...

Slightly hypertrophic scar

+2

Thank you for the photos.  You do not have a keloid scar.  You have some hypertrophy (thickening) and hyperpigmentation (darkening) of the scars.  These can be treated with revision surgery, bleaching creams, or steroid injections.

Dr Remus Repta

Hypertrophic scarring around the umbilicus

+1

Problem scars around the umbilicus and positioning of the low transverse scar after an abdominoplasty.  The umbilical scar is really he cherry on the ice cream sundae when it comes to abdominoplasty surgery.  It is the most visible scar and most plastic surgeons are very careful to create a nice, aesthetically pleasing scar.  Everything can be done correctly and a small percentage of patients will make a bad scar.  Your scar and lateral fullness can be improved with a revision.

Keloid or Hypertrophic Scar

+1

I would call this a hypertrophic scar. The definitions overlap, and both are caused by overgrowth of collagen in a healing incision.

A keloid is usually defined where the scar is well beyond the expected limits of healing. An example is a marble sized lump at the site of a simple ear piercing. Your scars do not fit that particular definition. 

Definition aside, it is what it is. I am sure your surgeon will suggest a number of possibilities. You have already tried two scar remedies, and there are others. These types of scars are sometimes injected with kenalog, as steroid, and this is usually done several times over two week intervals. Excising and reclosing the scars is sometimes a last resort, because the hypertrophy can recur. 

Thanks for your question, and best wishes.