I'm starting to get cold symptoms before my surgery.

my pre-op appointment is 9 days away and my surgery is 14 days away. i scared feeling cold symptoms yesterday like coughing and sneezing. since it's so closer to my surgery date, what can i take to minimize my cold symptoms? and if i am still counting and sneezing on the day of surgery, will the doctor still operate on me?

+2
Thanks for the question. You have to inform to your surgeon about it , but i recommend that if you get worst chance the date until you get well and take vitamins C ... hopefully that you recovery soon .Best wishes !!

Cold symptoms

+2
It is best to honestly share your symptoms with your plastic surgeon.  Hopefully you will feel much better.  But since this is elective surgery, it is best to postpone your procedure(s) if you have full blown upper respiratory/ cold symptoms.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Getting sick prior to surgery

+2
Hopefully you will be fully recovered prior to your surgery.  If not and you are running a fever with a productive cough the surgery should be delayed.  Make your plastic surgeon aware of your current medical condition.  

Cold symptoms preoperatively

+1
This would be a good time to contact your surgeon and explain your symptoms.Your surgeon may want to examine you to determine what can be done to optimize your condition preoperatively. Coughing and sneezing in the postoperative period can lead to problems with wound healing. This is purely elective surgery and for you to get the best outcome should make sure you are in the best health possible at the time of your procedure.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Cold symptoms prior to mommy makeover

+1
My advice would be to contact your surgeon now. He/she may start you on an antibiotic prior to your surgery.  It is important that you avoid over the counter medications which may contain aspirin or ibuprofen prior to your surgery.  Let your surgeon know what is going on as he/she is most familiar with your particular case.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

A resulting call will generally not postpone elective surgery.

+1
Your specific decision will be made by your own surgeon and anesthesiologist. An emerging virus generally results in postponement of the case were as a resolving viral Illness often times permits the operation.

+1
You should call you surgeons office and inform them of you symptoms. His advise and elvaluation will be best. Good of luck, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

+1
Best to call your chosen surgeon to inform him/her of you possible cold. If you get any worse than YES cancel your surgery... 

+1
Thank you for the question!  I would check-in with your surgeon as soon as possible.  Seasonal allergies do not present a real problem, but a severe cold would be enough to postpone surgery in my clinic.  This is an ellective surgery, so all modifiable risk factors should be optimized prior to undergoing the procedure.  

A visit to your surgeon and primary care physican will help determine the severity of the illness and decisions can be made from there.  Best of luck.

--Dr. Mussman

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon