Sharp & Shock-Like Pain? (photo)

I am on my 3rd day post-op and so far I've been doing very well. I have one concern, I have this weird shock-like pain on my left breast around the bottom part near the inside of my nipple. I kinda have to hold my breast upwards with some pressure so it doesn't hurt when I move and the pain is mainly there when I walk. I don't see my surgeon until Monday afternoon on my 5th day post op visit. Can someone let me know if you have/had the same pain? HELP!

Post surgical pain

Varying degrees of discomfort are the norm rather than the exception after any surgery.  “Electric shock” like pains can be a normal discomfort after surgery which may indicate irritation of the nerves.  For peace of mind, call your surgeons office and discuss this with them prior to your scheduled appointment.

Pain After Braest Augmentation

Women complain of all sorts of discomfort after breast augmentation with the worst pain usually occuring from the second through the fifth day. Commomly the implants are likened to an "elephant sitting on your chest". Stabbing chest and nipple pain occur and frequently you have back pain as well. Your pain sounds totally normal at this point in time.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Sharp & Shock-Like Pain?

Discomfort is the rule after surgery. Every patient has a unique experience. Nothing sounds alarming from what you write. your question is best addressed to your surgeon. Best wishes.

Recovery and Pain After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
The pain you described could be nerve regeneration. Be sure to follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon with any questions or concerns you have during your recovery. All the best.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Probably nerve regeneration

Generally this is the result of nerve regeneration, and will often subside over time. Tingling is a good sign and it most likely means that sensation is returning. Changes in sensation are normally temporary and resolve in the weeks or months following surgery. It is very rare that permanent changes occur.

I recommend you talk about this with your surgeon, however, when you see them.

Breast Surgery

It is extremely hard to make accurate diagnosis as well as giving crucial decision making clinical decision without an in person physical examination along with a length discussion, please see your local board certified plastic surgeon in your area. If you dont have a surgeon you can look at the american society of aesthetic plastic surgery website and search by zip code or postal code. I wish you the best success!

Sharp Pain 3 Days after Breast Augmentation

In general, sharp pains are common 3 days after breast augmentation.  In the absence of hematoma, seroma, or any gross abnormality, this can be followed.

Normal Symptoms At 3 Days Post-op

Hello.

Thank you for your inquiry.

It seems that you are exhibiting normal symptoms at 3 days post-op.

Please remember that your chest will have to accommodate in the presence of implants that were not present before in it.

Different patients will feel different sort of symptoms that are part of the recovery process. 

Although it seems pretty normal, I encourage you to communicate what you are feeling with your surgeon during the appointment on Monday.

Meanwhile, try to stay rested and follow your surgeon's instructions religiously.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Pain

It is not uncommon to have various sensations and pain early after surgery. This may continue for a few more weeks but probably not as bad. Your course seems to be pretty normal.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS