Can I Request a Hospital Stay?

Hi, I'm interested in having a Tummy Tuck with Lipo early 2013. I am a 25 yr old mother of two, I am extremely nervous about the concept of having this procedure done in an "office" setting. My husband and I are set on the idea of having this done in a hospital, God forbid something go wrong I am already at the hospital. I am from Miami and would like some input from local surgeons. I haven't had any consultations yet, but I was wondering if this was a possibility. Thanks for your help!

Can I Request a Hospital Stay?

+2

Having the procedure done in a hospital is certainly a possibility, though the costs may escalate. In my community, doing a two and one-half hour procedure would add about $8,000 to the cost when compared with the costs at an approved surgicenter. An overnight stay, if I understand the question, would add another $2,000.  In other cities, the differential is not so high. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Call and check Miami area surgeons from these listings to see who does surgery in hospitals.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Tummy tuck and a hospital stay.

+1

Excellent question! I encourage most of my full tummy tuck patient's to spend an evening in the hospital. In Boca Raton, our hospital has a wonderful "VIP" floor which allows for a quiet night's rest but with the added security of excellent and available nursing. Assistance with getting out of bed, managing drains, assuring proper positioning, and the use of a pain pump all reduce patient anxiety about that "first night after surgery." The cost for an overnight stay is very reasonable. By all means, when you do consult with surgeons, be sure you feel comfortable with the facility they operate prior to booking your surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Post Tummy Tuck Hospital Stay

+1

I personally do all my major surgery in the hospital and have an arrangement for postoperative hospital stay for anyone requiring or requesting such. Many other plastic surgeons have similar arrangements, or, at least, can admit patients with a set overnight stay fee. This also allows excellent initial pain relief and observation until you feel almost normal again. The ability to admit to a hospital for a procedure also assures that your surgeon is credentialed to do the procedure you are to have. This also increases your chances for a good outcome.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Hospital tummy tuck

+1

If you are concerned about postop recovery, I would encourage you to have the procedure at a hospital or surgery center where you can stay overnight.  This has been the traditional way to recover from this procedure and only in recent years have outpatient tummy tucks become popular.   In addition, if you are having significant amount of fascial tightening, a hospital recovery may be worth it since your discomfort will be increased.

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

It is an option

+1

Thank you for the question.  You may have your tummy tuck in a hospital and stay overnight but I would encourage your plastic surgeon to pre arrange if possible cash prices for both your surgery and your overnight stay as the regular price of doing is astronomical.  An accredited surgery center has all of the same policies, procedures, and equipment as a hospital.  Since a hospital thus far less cosmetic procedures than a surgery center they are likely to have less experience with these type of cases.
Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Hospital stay after tummy tuck

+1
First, it is important to have a consultation in which your concerns about office based surgery can be addressed in specifics. Try to identify what concerns you: is it safety, having backup anesthesiologists available, sterility, etc.? Let me also point out that there is another option, which is a free standing ambulatory surgery center, not a private doctor's office. There is a major cost differential between surgery in the hospital and in an ambulatory center; I would estimate at least $2500 difference with an overnight stay. It is also important for you to check on how your state regulates facilities. I would not recommend any surgery under general anesthesia except in a Joint Commission or AAAASF accredited facility.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Overnight stay with tummy tuck and lipo.

+1

Your concerns are very legitimate. This degree of surgery should be done in a certified surgical center or hospital. An overnight stay is available at either, but is generally much less expensive at an ambulatory surgical center. At our ASC you have two RNs stay with you overnight for an additional $650. This is a great way to recover as you still have your IV for extra medication and qualified personal at all times.

Ask for friends and do research on your surgeon as this is a key factor to your health and outcome. Good luck. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Can I Request a Hospital Stay?

+1

No one should ever have an abdominoplasty done in an office based setting unless that setting is an approved or certified outpatient surgical center with a board certified anesthesiologist in attendance attached to an office. That said, I am sure you can find someone who will do your surgery in a hospital, but as another consultant said, the cost will be a lot higher.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Hello

+1

In our practice we don’t do surgeries in office base, especially something as big as a tummy tuck. We take our patient’s to outpatient surgery centers and have our patients stay with an RN or at the surgery center overnight. You have to do things in safe environment, for your safe is #1.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS