Just Removed Stitiches, Reducing Scaring? (photo)

Hello, I Just removed my stitches, from a super deep laceration cut to the upper lip. It was 3 stitches, I had it on for about 5 days, and was removed about 24 hours ago.I am left with the scar you see in the picture. I have a few questions. 1) How long for injury to completely heal, in regard to swelling? 3) Is there anything I can do to promote healing and the disappearing ( or at the the very least greatly reducing) of the scar? Right now I am putting neosporin on it Thank You, Chris

Methods to help reduce scarring on lip wound

+2

Neosporin or an ointment like aquaphor is helpful in the immediate healing period to keep the wound on your lip from drying out.  I would continue that for another week.  It's also a good idea to use some form of lip product with an SPF to give it some sun protection.  It will take several months for the wound to heal fully.  I would recommend waiting at least six months and re-evaluate how it looks at that time.  If there are an issues with the scar, a scar revision could be most likely done to improve it.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reduce scarrring

+1

I would stop the Neopsporin since many peopole become allergic to it. A silicone gel dressing, which can be bought in a surgical supply store may help reduce scarring. Also, all scars get better with time. If you are fair skinned and the scar is red a pulsed dye laser might help.

Vicki J. Levine, MD