Numbness After Surgery 12 Weeks Post?

I am about 12 weeks post surgery and I still have no sensation my my right nipple. It's VERY tender and I can bare touch it without hurting. My left nipple feels everything and it's fine. I have an IMF incision if that means anything... I don't know. I'm a bit concerned if I'l ever get any feeling back on my right nipple... Help. Thanks

Numbness After Surgery 12 Weeks Post?

+1

Sensory nerve function usually returns to normal in a few weeks; however, it can take as long as a year to return. The most important item is to followup with your physician.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/breast-augmentation.html

Numbness 12 Weeks after Breast Augmentation

+1

Numbness after breast augmentation usually recovers over a period of months or a year. The sensitivity of the nipple areola complex intermingled with the numbness is a good sign.  Any sensitivity at all suggests that the nerve is returning.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Numbness After Surgery 12 Weeks Post?

+1

Numbness in the breast especially at the nipple areolar complex can last for a year although it usually returns much sooner.  Please keep in touch with your plastic surgeon for followup.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Numbness After Surgery 12 Weeks Post

+1

I am a little puzzled about the combination of numbness with pain and tenderness. Usually the presence of the latter sensations are a sign that normal or close to normal sensation will return. In most patients it is normal by 3 months, but can take up to a year. 

Continue to follow with your surgeon. All the best.

Nipple sensation issue

+1

It is still a bit early to be overly concerned about the sensation in your nipple. It most likely will get back to normal.  But I will caution that about 10-15% will have a permanent change in sensation.

Pain and numbness after breast aug

+1

I agree with Dr. Andres. 

Both some numbness and pain can occur at the same time. This is from stretching or pulling on the nerves to the nipple. It is generally temporary but can take MANY months to resolve. 

Some patients use the pastie stick on nipple covers you can buy at V.secret to help prevent your clothing from rubbing against the nipple. 

I generally also recommend implant massage in the early postop period.

Hope that is helpful. 

Bennett Yang, MD

washington DC

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Change in nipple sensation after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question!  Change or possible loss of nipple sensation after breast augmentation is reported as ~5-7% following this procedure.  It sometimes can take up to a year to fully regain sensation; 12 weeks is a little early to determine fully.  You are at least describing some sensation, with the tenderness, which is a sign that the changes may be due to neuropraxia and stretching of the nerve.  If this is the case, sensation should improve with time. Certainly an evaluation by your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and an evaluation of your tenderness.  Hope that this helps!  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.albertandresmd.com

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Hypersensitive nipples after breast augmentation

+1

It is common to have altered sensation post breast augmentation. This can be either temporary or permanent and vary from total numbness to hypersensitivity. Generally it settles gradually over time, and may take up to 18-24 months to settle. When hypersensitive, actually gradually massaging the nipples with graduated progressive massage may help the discomfort settle down!

London Plastic Surgeon