New Breast Are Really Swollen, Hard, and High? (photo)

I just got my BA yesterday and my breast are really swollen, hard & high. How long will this last? My PS told me not to wear the white band over my breast, is that fine or should I still wear it? Should I ice them? He didn't tell me to but I feel like I should.. Also, I feel a sharp shooting pain on my left breast and I don't feel anything on my right breast. Is that normal? What should I expect for the following week or two? ..Your help is appreciated. THANKS! LC

It is very obvious you did not receive post operative instructions! Best to call your surgeon ASAP to obtain detailed instructions. Swelling and pain are an usual event follow breast implant surgery. the degree is more a personal nature. As for the strap I recommend it in 50% of MY cases. But I do not recommend it for you since I do not know your medical/surgical history. Again CALL your surgeon PLEASE. 

Surgery yesterday

you have atotally normal post operative course. Please follow your instructions from your surgeon and proceed with your scheduled follow ups

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Changes After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your post as well as your photo.

At this very early point after your surgery, what you are expressing is not uncommon at all.

Swelling happens at different intensities depending on the patient and it can take up to 6 months to subside fully in the case of breast augmentations given that no complications were to be noted.

It is important to follow your surgeon's instructions religiously. The success of your surgery does not depend on how well the surgeon did perform in the OR but also how well the patient did follow the surgeon's instructions; the patient and the surgeon are one team.

Please be patient and give mother nature the change to take its course.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Swollen Painful Breasts after Breast Augmentation

Just after breast augmentation, the breasts may have some numbness and some pain.  Without any evidence of hematoma or fluid collection, there may not be much to do.  The use of a bandeau is a practice to practice decision for each patient. Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughesplasticsurgery Los Angeles, CA

Postop Surgical Instructions

Swollen, hard, high and painful are the usual complaints after breast augmentation and are usually discussed as part of your postop surgical instructions. Another part of these instructions is a phone number to call for questions or problems. Now would be a good time to call the number! If you don't have this information your surgeon has let you down and you may want to mention this at your next appointment to remove sutures.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

1 day post op

There is nothing in you question or in the photos, that seems out of the ordinary, with the exception that you seem not to have gotten instructions from your surgeon. All your questions are appropriate for your surgeon, and anything that is unclear to you should be verified by the surgeon, not by surgeons who have never seen you!.

New breasts swollen

Congratulations on your recent surgery. It is quite common to have some discomfort and have high breasts just after surgery. If you hace concerns, then you should see your surgeon.