Is It Better to Get Lymphatic Drainage Rite After Lypo for Best Results? (photo)

I am only 1week post op major tummy lypo and see quite a bit of lumps. Even though I know it will be very painfully at this stage of recovery, should I start with a drainage or massage now?

Early lymphatic drainage after liposuction

+2

Thank you for asking about lymphatic massage after liposuction.

1. Painful, early massage after liposuction has little benefit.
  2. You are swollen naturally, it takes time to subside.
  3. Wear your compression garment. Have massage when pain subsides.
  4. Liposuction lumpiness is common and improves dramatically with time.

Postoperative massage

+2

Early postoperative massage (deep tissue like) speeds up the healing process. After liposuction you core out fat cells turning a solid into Swiss cheese. All the areas were fat is removed will fill with fluid. The garment and massage will place pressure this area collapse the holes and let the tissue scar together. Swelling will go away when all these spaces are scarred close. So the earlier you do the massage the faster these spaces will scar together. Early after the liposuction swelling fluid is then like water. Days or weeks later was fluid stick like Jell-O. So the massage you do early have a better effect than one's done later. I think you're better off doing three massages in the first week in 10 in the third week.

Wendell Perry, MD