I liked my nose better when it was taped. Will it return to that shape again? (Photo)

I am 11 days post op! I know that my nose is still swollen and that it can take up to a year to have the final result! But I loved my nose when it was taped. After they took the tape off I have a little bump and my nose looked bigger!!! Will it go back to how it was when it was taped, once the swelling goes down? I read that people experienced swelling after tape removal! Could that be it?! Will the bump be visibal as it is now? Pics before, 5 days post op and today! Thank you for your answers!

The taped nose after rhinoplasty

+2
The nose can look better taped in the early post-operative period because there is a bit of compression on the skin sleeve.  With time, the skin should relax and become less swollen giving you a more defined nose.  However, scarring is unpredictable so we never really can tell for sure how defined the nose will be.

Rhinoplasty post-op

+2
You are very early post-op form rhinoplasty and there is always swelling.  This can take a year and sometimes longer to subside. Good luck.

Early rhinoplasty results

+2
The taping keeps some of the edema fluid down.  It just takes time to recover from a rhinoplasty.  Give it at least 6 months before you judge the final result.  

I liked my nose better when it was taped. Will it return to that shape again?

+2
At 11 days post-op, you will still have swelling.  The tape held the swelling to a minimum.  Upon removing the tape, you have swelling.  Swelling from a rhinoplasty may last for a few weeks to several months.  Please follow all directions of your surgeon.

Too early

+2
Swelling is present for several months after an open rhinoplasty.  Be patient and follow up with your surgeon.  If a little additional rasping needs to be done, you can discuss with your surgeon in a few months time.  

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

+2
After a rhinoplasty it can take several months for the swelling to subside and you may not realize the final shape of your nose for up to 12 months. It is too soon in your convalescence to determine the final shape of your nose. Give the swelling time to evolve. I recommend that you make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for a thorough exam and to discuss all of your concerns.

Wesley T. Myers, MD
Conroe Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty dressing is removed

+2
Waaaaaaay to early to be worried about this.  Give your nose at least 3-6 months before considering the final result.  If you liked it when the tapes were on chances are the parts you don't like now are just due to swelling.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

+2
Please ONLY follow the instructions of your surgeon! Not us over the internet experts who DO NOT know your case...

Swelling after tape is removed

+2
Immediately after the case and/or tape is removed, it is common for the nose to look more defined. The nose seems to be most susceptible to swelling during the first 2 weeks following surgery. After the compression has been removed, the skin and soft tissues can swell and this can take weeks to months to significantly improve. Swelling in the nose can take 12 months or longer to resolve so that you can appreciate the final result.

At several weeks following rhinoplasty, you are still very early in your recovery. Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. Around the 4-6 week mark, most patients are able to appreciate many of the changes from surgery as a significant amount of swelling has resolved. However, it can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles. It's hard but crucial to stay patient during your recovery after rhinoplasty.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

+2
You are correct that it takes weeks to months for all the swelling to subside after Rhinoplasty.  Have patience, and follow up with your Plastic Surgeon so that he can monitor the progress.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD