I Have Dog Ears?excess Skin in Hip Area at the End of the Incision? Do I Need a Revision? (photo)

I had a full tt, muscle repair and hip lipo on 8/31/2012. I know im only 3 weeks post op but im concerned about the ending part of the incisions in the hip area on both sides including the skin. I went to see my doc today and expressed my concerns and all he can say was that my body still had a lot of recovery transformation to go. Can this be possible? does the skin on my hips retract after lipo?So i dont have dog ears?

Dog ears

+1

I would be patient.I think alot of this will resolve with time and massage with a scar cream.If you have a slight dog ear this can be removed in the office under local.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Dog ear revision

+1
The redundancy in scarring may resolve with time. Yes, there can be retraction. If the skin is too taut, the wound could open up. You need to give this time. Scar revision of the dogears can certainly be performed if necessary.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck and skin issues

+1

It is a bit early to see the final results of your tummy tuck.  Yes, you may need a scar revision but you need to give it more time to heal.

Tummy Tuck - revision question

+1

Most pleating of skin does settle down after tummy tucks.  There is  some asymmetry to your incision that I think even your surgeon would agree exists.  I would wait 3 months minimum in my practice and see how you look then.  Best Wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Dog ear after tummy tuck

+1

It does appear based on your pictures that you have some dog ears to the end of your incisions.  However, it is too soon to make any judgements on the final result.  These areas often will settle with some time.  Give it at least 6 months before deciding on a scar revision.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Dog ears after tummy tuck - avoidance and treatment

+1

The dilemma of the tummy tuck surgeon is how long to make the incision.

Too long and the scar is excessively long.  Too short and there are dog ears.  Plus swelling around the incision can be slightly unpredictable in the postoperative period.

Most experienced surgeons make sure things look great in the operating room, and hope no untoward swelling occurs after that.  It often takes a bit of time in surgery to get things to lie flat at the ends of the incisions.  Remember that lots was tightened in the front, but no tightening was done after the incision ends, so there is a transition.

For patients with looseness extending into the flank, it is usually better to plan on a longer incision.

Whether or not the ends of your incision will require revision will be a question only time can answer.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Dog Ears?

+1

Too soon to tell. There is some irregularity at the ends, but many of these remodel during wound healing and wind up not needing any touch ups.

Thanks and best wishes. 

I Have Dog Ears?excess Skin in Hip Area at the End of the Incision? Do I Need a Revision?

+1

Yes you may have or you may not have the hated "dog ear" deformity. But way to early to tell. Best is to allow 3 months healing than you can determine if you are a doggy or not a doggy. Best of luck. 

Hello

+1

You are still too soon after surgery to see the final results. You need to give your body 6-9 months to heal and for the skin to relax and swelling to subside. It’s too early to think about a revision surgery already.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS