Am I okay with just Chin Liposuction or should i go for a Neck Lift? (photos)

I have always had a double chin even when i am thin, i am 21 years old right now im just a little over weight not a big deal, but for some reason once i gain a few pounds it goes straight to my face. Am i to young for a neck lift? Or am i just ok with a chin lipo? I'm scared to get chin lipo and then i have sagging skin or something, what are the costs for chin lipo / neck lift ?

Neck liposuction versus a neck lift

First of all, it's important to be at your ideal body weight before  undergoing elective cosmetic neck surgery. Once  you are at your  ideal body weight and there are still excess fat in the neck, liposuction the sub mental fat can be performed. During your consultation and examination, it is important to assess if there is any sub- platysmal fat which will require a neck lift( No skin removal) and platysma platy. For many examples, please see the link below

Neck liposuction

Given your young age, you are a good candidate for neck liposuction and not a neck lift.  A conservative liposuction under the chin will help to improve the appearance of a double chin and minimize potential risks.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Double Chin

A "double chin" is due to excess fat under your chin, and so fat removal by liposuction can help reduce this fullness nicely.  At age 21, you are young enough that your skin probably has enough elasticity to tighten up and redrape smoothly without leaving any obvious wrinkling, so I expect liposuction to improve your chin/neck profile very well.  Therefore, my opinion considering your photos and young age, is that you don't need a necklift. However, occasionally in addition to the fat right under your skin, which is easily removed by liposuction, there may be a deeper layer of fat below the platysma muscle which can only be removed surgically through a slightly longer incision under the chin.  As with most cosmetic contouring procedures, it is always best to lose any extra weight before the surgery, to allow a better and longer-lasting result.  My only other thought is that from your photo it appears that your chin might be a little small, and, therefore, addition of a chin implant at the time of liposuction fat removal would add further definition to your chin and improve your chin/neck profile.  You should consult a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in neck and chin surgery to discuss your goals and options.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Double chin

Thank you for your pictures.  I think that you a good candidate for liposuction.  Your age will help the result because the skin retraction is more predictable. 

Chin liposuction to improve neck contour

I think an aggressive neck liposuction to your areas under the chin and along your jaw line should be sufficient. You are young enough where the skin should contract to the shape of your neck and jaw line without requiring a necklift procedure. In fact, at this time I would caution against a necklift procedure to avoid unnecessary scarring and pulling of the skin and would just consider a liposuction procedure. Be cautious about using anything other than liposuction since I have seen patients scarred severely when a laser is used in conjunction with neck liposuction especially in a younger individual where skin excess is not a problem. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I okay with just Chin Liposuction or should i go for a Neck Lift?

Hi and thank you for your question. If I ever saw a great candidate for "chin liposuction" is you! You have the right distribution of localized submental fat ( under the chin) and the right age. A liposuction of the submental region ( same as chin liposuction) would remove your double chin and give you a nice jaw line. The end result is a slimmer looking face.

I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have been in private practice in the Miami area for the last 29 years. We are located in the same city and I would encourage you to pay us a visit. We offer a complimentary consult. You will meet with me, the operating surgeon. I would be happy to evaluate you personally. 

In any case, always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in facial cosmetic surgery. Remember this is your face....can't cover it up! Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. Our beautiful city is now filled with mom and pop cosmetic surgery clinics . Buyer beware.You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations. 

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

I answer all of the questions personally and do not have an employee or marketing company answering for me. At our Institute it's all about the relationship. Give yourself the highest percentage of a successful operation. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Lipo or neck lift

At 21 you absolutely do not need a necklift. If you get liposuction which is just fine....and loose the weight that you need to loose for good health reasons the excess skin should shrink up nicely. I have never seen anyone your age that needed a necklift or other skin removal procedure when the weight change was given time to have the necessary changes go on in the skin.(shrinkage). Basic submental liposuction with some extension into the lateral neck as needed under oral sedation and local anesthesia in my office is about $2500.

First step is to lose 20 pounds. Next see IN PERSON a few boarded PSs in Miami. Third decide  on Lipo of chin + ThermiSmooth RF therapy Fee $3,000...

Go with the lipo

I would definitely go with the liposuction rather than a neck lift.  You appear young and your skin will tighten especially if laser liposuction is performed.  3 small stab incisions, one under each earlobe and chin will suffice.  Recovery is a couple of days.  Can be performed under local anesthesia with oral sedation.  Good luck!

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fullness in the neck

Liposuction of the neck will certainly help your overall profile and look.

As previously mentioned, weight loss is probably the number one priority. You are not a candidate for
neck lift. That procedure is for people much older than you. 

That said, despite desire and recommendations, some people simply don't lose weight.

Here are a few thoughts on keeping your weight down:

While liposuction is generally not prescribed as a treatment for obesity, most patients who get liposuction are somewhat overweight.

From having met thousands of people interested in liposuction, I have had ample opportunity to talk to many, many people about their struggle with weight.

A few repeating patterns seemed to emerge.

Perhaps the most common one is people not eating frequently enough. Losing weight by not eating is a fallacy. In reality, we tend to over-eat after having gone hungry.

Another common misunderstanding is the relationship between weight and exercise. Most patients are not successful at losing weight by exercising without changes in diet. Losing weight is 90% about diet. Exercise has to do with fitness. Think of diet and exercise as two separate entities with two separate purposes.

That said, I encourage everyone to exercise on a regular basis.

The majority of people get hungry from working out and tend to over-eat afterwards, sometimes feeling justified to do so after a strenuous workout.

The number of calories burned during a typical workout session is far less than people believe. Any successful weight reduction program has to be based on permanent change. Any temporary diet plan will ultimately fail if not followed by permanent changes in behavior.

It is important to understand the role that insulin plays in obesity and what causes surges in insulin. If you read the late Dr. Atkins' book, you will learn that his obsession was with controlling insulin much more so than with eliminating carbohydrates.

It is also important to learn about the glycemic index and glycemic loads. Avoid eating meals that give a high glycemic load. This is somewhat similar to saying avoid eating large, carbohydrate-based meals, though understanding what foods constitute as bad carbohydrate meals is critical. This will be learned after mastering the concepts of the glycemic index and glycemic load.

Here are my rules to keep weight under control:

1. Never go hungry.
  2. Never eat a large meal.
  3. Never, never, never eat a large meal when you're hungry.
  4. Avoid large carbohydrate-based meals.
  5. Don't expect exercise to get your weight down and don't blame the lack of exercise for not being able to maintain your weight.
  6. Step on the scale every day after you get out of the shower in the morning.
  7. Accept weight fluctuations. None of us stay at the same weight or continue to go down in weight. Don't beat yourself up if you've gained a few pounds. It's the long-term, rest-of-your-life progress that matters.
I hope that is of some help.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD