I want to improve the balance of my face. Do I need a Chin Augmentation and Rhinoplasty? Or just a Chin Augmentation? (photos)

I have always felt I have a large nose but recently I have noticed that my facial balancing is thrown off more by my chin than by my nose. It does look worse when I smile (see photos) Would a chin augmentation be enough or would you recommend a rhinoplasty in addition?

I want to improve the balance of my face. Do I need a Chin Augmentation and Rhinoplasty? Or just a Chin Augmentation?

+2
Hi and thanks for your question. You would benefit greatly from a chin implant and a rhinoplasty. Both of these combined procedures will enhace your profile. Your nose only needs a little bit of work. I would have liked to view your frontal views to better assess your nose. From your profile , I feel that the slight hump should be lowered a bit to give you at straight dorsum, the tip rotated up slightly and a very small amount of shortening of the length. The resason your tip is pulled down when you smile is because there are certan muscles and ligaments that are causing this distortion. These need to be released at he time of surgery.

I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing chin implants. Furthermore, request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally (USA) recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthsiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. We are one of only a few in South Florida that employ a web based program called TouchMD. Through this program potential patients from as far away as California can upload their photos. I then review each and everyone and draw my recommendations on your actual picture. This info is made available to you with the use of a private password that only you will have. TouchMD is private and follows all applicable privacy laws (HIPPA). I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals. Good Luck

Nose and chin concerns and facial balance

+2
I think you need to have a rhinoplasty that elevates and projects your nose minimally and possibly ever so slightly takes down the hump ( you actually have a bit of tip ptosis...hanging tip )....If your nose was elevated and projected properly the hump would then become minimal, the increased problem with smiling is very typical of this problem (tip ptosis ) and a columella support ( cartilage strut ) would help greatly here. At the most you need only an extra small curvilinear type chin implant...you do not want an overly strong chin projection that would be too masculine. I use video imaging to clearly demonstrate and help patients visualize the problem...I also have 25 years worth of rhinoplasty photos you can use to compare before and after concerns and results. All rhinoplasties are done in the office operating with oral sedation and local anesthesia thereby removing 95% of the risk and still affording a nearly painless experience Your overbite may be adding to the problem but I still think all I mentioned needs to be done none-the-less

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2
Yes my over internet guess is a rhinoplasty with either small chin implant or Voluma 2 cc injection..Best to see a few Miami boarded surgeons to discuss..  

Rhinoplasty and chin implant a combination

+2
Only you can make the decision as to  which procedures you would like to perform. The photographs show a small hump located across the nasal bridge and a weak chin profile.
A rhinoplasty procedure would involve shaving down the hump and narrowing the bridge with osteotomies. A tip rhinoplasty may or may not be necessary as well to make sure the tip balances with a new bridge line.  A chin implant can be inserted to give a stronger jawline profile. Performing the chin implant procedure will help significantly with facial balance. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation. The rhinoplasty procedure must be performed under general anesthesia, however a chin implant only can be performed under local anesthesia. 

+2
If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough, it can be cosmetically improved with a rhinoplasty. Whether it is worth doing is a decision that is personal and only you can make. A receding chin can be improved with a natural appearing chin implant.

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nose-Chin-or Both?

+2
First you need to have some one sit down with you to understand the specific issues you have with your nose/chin and examine you. Computer imaging can be helpful but is not necessary in most cases. Reducing the size of the nose and increasing the projection of the chin will likely be pleasing for you.  Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation Imaging

+2
The best way to answer that question between rhinoplasty and chin augmentation is to have computer imaging done. Do rhinoplasty alone, chin augmentation alone and then have them done together so you can see how your face changes. Just looking at your static and smiling photos suggest that the chin is more of a problem than that of the nose. But what really counts is what you see in the imaging.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Augmentation Alone or With Rhinoplasty?

+2
This is a question that bears a tremendous amount of subjectivity. Certainly a chin implant would improve the aesthetics of your face by increasing chin projection. Whether or not you should have a Rhinoplasty depends on what changes you seek to make with your nose. If you aren't certain,  you won't lose anything by having the chin implant first although there are benefits to combining procedures. Good luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant??

+2
Rhinoplasty and chin implant?? This depends on your goals and your bite. If your nose does not blithering you do nothing. If you want a slightly different shape see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who dies natural noses as well as checking your bite. 

Chin Augmentation and Rhinoplasty?

+2
Generally speaking and after reviewing your photos-- facial harmony begins with an evaluation of your occlusion. That is a normal bite must be present before additional intervention should be considered. With respect to your nose- it can be addressed before any major bite intervention is undertaken. Therefore, you could have a rhinoplasty now and wait for the chin decision until after the bite is evaluated by the oral surgeon.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD