Steroids (due to asthma) caused weight gain: 5ft4, 160lbs - Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction? (photo)

I'm young and very healthy, but due to past horrible asthma problems I've had to take steroids which led to a constant weight gain and thus making me over weight. I'm more than aware that liposuction ISN'T a means of weight loss nor am I using it for that, I exercise and eat extremely healthy everyday but my body wont change without surgery. I'm 5'4, 160 lbs, with very good skin and nothing that 'hangs'. Id like to know if I'd be a good candidate or if I'm just over my head?

Liposuction can be a great body contouring option for you

+1

Thank you for the question.  Yes, you are a good candidate for liposuction.  The type of liposuction is not as important as the surgeon performing it.  I would seek consultation with several board certified plastic surgeons that do quite a bit of liposuction and look at their before and after photos/reviews.

Dr. Remus Repta

Lipo

+1

Yes you are a good candidate for liposuction. You have fat deposits of your abomen, hips and lower back that will do very well with treatment.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Good candidate for liposuction

+1

By your photos you are a good candidate for liposuction, but with your medical issues you may want to pursue other non-invasive options like CoolSculpting for which you are also an excellent candidate.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate for Body Contouring

+1

Yes. You are a very good candidate for liposuction. Liposuction is great for body contouring in a young person with good skin tone. Laser liposuction can be performed awake with oral sedation and tumenscent anesthesia. Most patients can return to work in 1- 2 days and return to full activity in 2 weeks. Laser liosuction would be an excellent choice for you to achieve the results you are looking for.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

5'4" 160 lbs Good Liposuction Candidate

+1

Your pictures indicate that you will be a good candidate for removal of 5 liters, the maximum amount that can be removed in the oupatient setting.  The result should be dramatic.  Find the board certified plastic surgeon with the best credentials who has performed hundreds of liposuctions.

A young patient with unwanted fat in a given area is the best candidate for liposuction.

+1

Picture demonstrates discrete surpluses of fat in the abdomen and waist. Liposuction is easily performed with oral sedation and tumescent infiltration. Because the skin appears to be in good condition an excellent result is anticipate.

Liposuction vs. abdominoplasty

+1

While I think you have the general features of someone who would do fine with liposuction, your prominent stretch marks are worrisome. These represent tears in the substance of the skin from tension and quite often are an indictaor of skin that will not retract well following liposuction. I'm afraid that you may have some skin sagging post procedure. If you do choose liposuction, I think you'd need to prepare for a possible future tummy tuck or skin tightening treatment to address this.

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the abdomen and hips should do great!

+1

Liposuction works wonders when you get to that plateau where diet and exercise just isn't improving the areas anymore. You should do great with liposuction of your abdomen and hips. Be sure to do it under local anesthesia rather than general so you can get the best results and be safer. Expect to pay roughly $5-6000 on special and enjoy the new you. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate

+1

Although there’s no substitute for good diet and exercise, sometimes there’s only so much we can do to reverse nature’s cruelties. That’s where science comes in. No, reshaping your body isn’t as easy as going to the beauty parlor. Surgery is never 100% risk free and the healing process requires patience and determination.

Liposuction works best on patients who are of relatively average weight, but who need help with a problem area, or with shedding the ten pounds they regain between diets. If you have good skin quality and minimal sagging, you make an ideal candidate for liposuction.

Liposuction modifies volume by sucking out fat, and liposuction candidates need good skin tone. The procedure takes about an hour, the recovery takes just a couple of days, and there's virtually no scarring. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the area while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. Liposuction as an outpatient procedure under I.V. sedation can easily reduce the saddlebags some people have. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, good elasticity provides a smooth contour after fat is removed.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Asthma and liposcution

+1

Hello and thanks for the questions and photos.  From the photos, it appears you could benefit from liposuction to recontour your midsection.  With the history of severe asthma requiring steroids, a thorough history and examination would be required to make sure that you are a candidate for elective anesthesia.  In addition although you said you have good skin, from the photos you do have striae/stretch marks, which would make you candidate for some of the laser skin tightening procedures, such as Smart Lipo.  Best of luck and hope this helps.  Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD