Steroids (due to asthma) caused weight gain: 5ft4, 160lbs - Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction? (photo)

I'm young and very healthy, but due to past horrible asthma problems I've had to take steroids which led to a constant weight gain and thus making me over weight. I'm more than aware that liposuction ISN'T a means of weight loss nor am I using it for that, I exercise and eat extremely healthy everyday but my body wont change without surgery. I'm 5'4, 160 lbs, with very good skin and nothing that 'hangs'. Id like to know if I'd be a good candidate or if I'm just over my head?

Excess Fat Liposuction

#Liposuction for Excess Fat
Judging by the pictures, you seem to be a great candidate for liposuction. You are a candidate if you have excessive subcutaneous fat, which is resistant to diet and exercise, which you said you do. If you wish to change the contours of your body. 
Most patients are near normal weight and desire permanent contour changes. Patients with average weight, localized fat collections, and healthy elastic skin are the best candidates for liposuction. I would recommend that you seek a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and tell you your options.

Steroids and liposuction

Yes, you are a good candidate, as long as your asthma is under control.  It would be best to undergo local anesthesia only rather than general anesthesia with your history.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Liposuction can be a great body contouring option for you

Thank you for the question.  Yes, you are a good candidate for liposuction.  The type of liposuction is not as important as the surgeon performing it.  I would seek consultation with several board certified plastic surgeons that do quite a bit of liposuction and look at their before and after photos/reviews.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Lipo

Yes you are a good candidate for liposuction. You have fat deposits of your abomen, hips and lower back that will do very well with treatment.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Good candidate for liposuction

By your photos you are a good candidate for liposuction, but with your medical issues you may want to pursue other non-invasive options like CoolSculpting for which you are also an excellent candidate.

Liposuction Candidate for Body Contouring

Yes. You are a very good candidate for liposuction. Liposuction is great for body contouring in a young person with good skin tone. Laser liposuction can be performed awake with oral sedation and tumenscent anesthesia. Most patients can return to work in 1- 2 days and return to full activity in 2 weeks. Laser liosuction would be an excellent choice for you to achieve the results you are looking for.

5'4" 160 lbs Good Liposuction Candidate

Your pictures indicate that you will be a good candidate for removal of 5 liters, the maximum amount that can be removed in the oupatient setting.  The result should be dramatic.  Find the board certified plastic surgeon with the best credentials who has performed hundreds of liposuctions.

A young patient with unwanted fat in a given area is the best candidate for liposuction.

Picture demonstrates discrete surpluses of fat in the abdomen and waist. Liposuction is easily performed with oral sedation and tumescent infiltration. Because the skin appears to be in good condition an excellent result is anticipate.

Liposuction vs. abdominoplasty

While I think you have the general features of someone who would do fine with liposuction, your prominent stretch marks are worrisome. These represent tears in the substance of the skin from tension and quite often are an indictaor of skin that will not retract well following liposuction. I'm afraid that you may have some skin sagging post procedure. If you do choose liposuction, I think you'd need to prepare for a possible future tummy tuck or skin tightening treatment to address this.

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the abdomen and hips should do great!

Liposuction works wonders when you get to that plateau where diet and exercise just isn't improving the areas anymore. You should do great with liposuction of your abdomen and hips. Be sure to do it under local anesthesia rather than general so you can get the best results and be safer. Expect to pay roughly $5-6000 on special and enjoy the new you. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon