Am I a candidate for a belly button revision? (Photo)

I had a tummy tuck a year ago and and hate the results of my belly button. I would like a revision without a visible scar or an improvement of my existing scar if possible.

Navel scar

+2
These can be difficult problems.  If you have not tried kenalog injections and silicone based scar products, this would be a good time to start, before considering surgery. 

Since you already have tattoos in the region, concealing with addition artwork may be a better alternative to surgery. All the best. 

Revision of belly button

+1
One year post op is a very reasonable time to consider scar revision.  Your should visit with your surgeon to discuss your options, of which there are a few - steroid injection, laser and surgery.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Belly button revision

+1
The quality of scar is a genetically condition. 
In my humble opinion your navel can be revised and do several things: remove the thick scar (and  there are high chances of relapse), attach the navel to the muscle to make the scar go inside where be less visible and make the nave smaller BUT, you will need a little vertical incision (as a small lollipop) in order to accomplish a smaller navel.
Another option: a tatoo.
Be encouraged. 
Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a belly button revision?

+1
  Revising a scar of this nature may not produce any improvement, no matter who the surgeon is.

Belly button revision

+1
This can be a very risky procedure, as you appear to form hypertrophic scars.  Any further excision may widen the bellybutton and make the scar worse.  I would start with kenalog injections and frequent massage.  There is also the more unconventional option of scar camouflage with tattoo.  If you do proceed with surgical revision, a better option may be elevating the abdominoplasty flap and readvancing the flap and creating a new umbilical opening for the umbilical stalk.  The old opening would be closed as  vertical line or scar underneath the new one  (I hope this makes sense).  Best wishes!

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

+1
Might be worth a try. But always understand a revision could also worsen the appearance. Call this a risk vs benefit issue... Fee under local $1,000... 

Scarring problems with belly button.

+1
This is a difficult problem to deal with.  Often times, surgical revision of this will result in a similar outcome.  I would recommend cortisone injections followed by flash lamp tunable dye laser.  Surgical revision might become a possibility at some point but there is too much scar activity at this point to attempt this.  If you can get the scar to quiet down with the conservative measures (or the passage of time), then your chance of success could increase.
Dr. Douglas Hargrave

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Scar injection vs scar revision

+1
Dear Davi1119,

Belly scars are sometimes difficult to correct.  If your belly button is deep and there is some skin laxity around your belly button a belly button revision may be beneficial.  If that is not the case you may want to start out with Kenalog steroid injection and see if the scar appearance can be improved.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Scarring after tummy tuck

+1
Hypertrophic scars or keloid scars can respond to steroid or pressure treatments to reduce their appearance. Hypertrophic scars improve with surgical revision about half the time and keloid scars can come back even worse.  You should discuss the treatment options with your plastic surgeon.

Belly button revision for hypertrophic scar

+1
Thank you for your question and photograph.  I am sorry to see the scar that you have around your belly button.  Based upon your photograph you may have a hyper trophic scar which is a red raised irritated elevated scar.

Revision is possible but you might consider improving the scar before considering revision.  1540 non-ablative fractional erbium laser treatments could possibly flatten, and reduce your scar and lighten the color.

In my opinion attempting a scar revision after the scar has been improved would be a better option.  Since the current scars irritated surgical revision now might make the scar worse.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS