21 wks post op, my stomach is uneven, rippling, dents. What went wrong with my liposuction? Is it fixable with revision? (photo)

I had lipo 21 weeks ago with a bbl. my stomach is uneven, rippling/waves @ dents secluded to my left side. What could have caused this? I researched for a year, & traveled across the country to one of the top Drs for lipo with bbl. I complained that my garment didn't fit right, and showed them at my post op appt. Did the garment cause this? I am in contact with my doctor and he agrees a revision is needed, but I'd like a second opinion on what could have caused it, and if it's fixable. Thanks

Too aggressive Liposuction

+2
Thank you for your pictures. You have significant contour deformities of your abdominal wall secondary to a very aggressive liposuction. This can be improved with several surgeries of fat grafting.

Skin irregularities post liposuction

+2
Liposuction done in a very superficial plane can result in skin irregularities.  Also the use of extraneous energy such as ultrasound or laser can exacerbate skin irregularities such as burns to the dermis.  Postop seromas can cause scarring and irregularities to the skin.  I would first ensure you do not have a seroma.  If you do it needs to be drained or excised.  Then, I would conisder fat grafting to correct the irregularities.  Finally an abdominplasty may be the best option.  Discuss all these options with your surgeon.  Best wishes!

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Uneveness after your abdominal liposuction

+2
I am sorry that you are unhappy, and from your photos, it is obvious that something is not right. The irregularities are likely the result of excess skin and not from a poor-fitting garment. You should speak with your surgeon, but I suspect some skin removal through a tummy tuck/mini tummy tuck/modified tummy tuck will be necessary. Repeat liposuction may make things even worse. 

Matthew Schulman, MD

Excess skin can be exaggerated by liposuction.

+2
I would need to examine you personally for specific diagnosis but it looks as though there is a surplus of skin on the abdominal wall. An abdominoplasty is some sort might be necessary to solve this problem.

Liposuction irregularities

+1
Thank you for your liposuction question.
  • I am sorry that your result is disappointing.
  • You are still swollen and things will continue to improve for 6 - 18 months.
  • The lower abdomen is especially prone to these irregularities - probably because of the thin skin and multiple criss-crossing muscles of the lower abdomen.
  • Leaving a layer of fat in the lower abdomen helps - but your doctor may have needed that fat for the BBL.
  • The 'hot' liposuction machines - laser and ultrasonic - seem to cause more rippling but it can happen to anyone.
  • A re-do liposuction, massage, endodermologie, exercise may all help. But some changes will be permanent. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction irregularities

+1
It is possible at four months for you to still have swelling. If it's tender it's probably still swollen. If it changes during the day it's probably still swollen and if you massage the area and it changes or gets softer it is still swollen. If it still swollen trying to massage the area or rolling on a medicine ball may help to smooth out the areas. In my experience ultrasound or infrared therapies may make it worse and not better.

If you do a revision you should probably wait as long as possible and should be more than six months because if you go back to surgery and is still swollen it's difficult to get a good result.

Wendell Perry, MD

Skin issue after BBl

+1
The skin issue can be a problem due to uneven harvesting or removal of fat, or excess skin or both. Best to be seen in person but would also give it a few more months to heal.

21 wks post op, my stomach is uneven, rippling, dents. What went wrong with my liposuction? Is it fixable with revision?

+1
Need to see a before photo... But it appears as if the surgeon did a poor lipo with much unevenness... Only IN PERSON examination allows us to determine if your result is correctable...