Had Breast Aug and I Went Back to the Gym Just After 1 Week Post-op?

Surgery was 5/23/13, I feel I've recovered quickly, I was walking around a lot just the day after. After a week I decided to go back to the gym and do ONLY lower body exercises, making sure my pectorals were relaxed and not stimulated in anyway. I know everyone recovers differently and some still cant walk 1 week post-op. I feel fine, if anything better of course for getting back in the gym. My question is- if nothing seems wrong and I'm not straining the upper body in any way, should I be fine?

Gym one week after augmentation

+1

would not be advised in my practice.  You are at least protecting your upper body but strenous workouts with your lower body can still contribute to vessels losing their clots and bleed around your implants.  Certainly non-strenuous activities are tolerated without problems but you should ideally clear your activities with your surgeon as we all have our own ideas and preferences for what to do during your recovery.

Return to athletic activity after breast augmentation is at the discretion of your surgeon.

+1

I see no problem with resuming athletic activity soon after breast augmentation if the breasts are not involve any activity. Lower body weight work should be okay. Nevertheless, this needs to be approved by your surgeon.

Working out after breast augmentation?

+1

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon will have slightly different recommendations.  It is always best to go with the suggestions of your surgeon as they share in the responsibility for your care.  Most surgeons will be quite conservative and not recommend exercise quite that soon.  Even though you are only exercising your lower body, you will inevitably raise your blood pressure, which could lead to a late post-operative bleed.  Best to be conservative, let your body heal and follow the instructions of your surgeon.

Good luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Had a breast augmentation and went back to the gym after 1 week

+1

At this point, there is nothing you can do to take back going back to the gym so soon after surgery, so let's focus on the future.  I'm expecting you will be just fine, because like you said, everyone heals differently, but you should remain careful and not increase your heart rate for the first 2 weeks.  I recommend my patients lay low for the first 2 weeks and gradually start light cardio in the 3rd week.  Keep your surgeon informed so he can follow your healing closely and keep an eye out for any possible complications.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Weight training after a breast augmentation

+1

If you feel fine and you see no change in the appearance of your breasts, then most likely you have not hurt anything.  That being said, I usually recommend not doing cardio until 3 weeks and weights until 6 weeks post op.  Remember that just because you haven't hurt something yet does not mean you will not hurt something tomorrow.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Returning to Lower Body Workout after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; it seems like you are doing quite well.  Based on your limitation of exercise to the lower body area, it is extremely likely that you should do just fine. Of course, always best to run these types of questions by your plastic surgeon who is ultimately responsible for your care.

Enjoy the outcome of the procedure performed and your workouts!

Exercise after breast augmentation.

+1

Thank you for your question about exercise after your breast augmentation.

• I would not recommend gym work outs so soon after any breast enlargement
  • Only walking for 2 weeks is best after breast enlargement or breast reduction
  • Contact your surgeon and tell him/her what you are doing. 
  • I have seen serious late infections after breast enlargement and breast reduction in women who 'felt fine' and did too much too soon. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

+1

These types of questions should be addressed to the surgeon. In this forum, many patients take advice from surgeons other than their own, and although for some people the type of workout you suggest may be OK, it may not be for others, so I am most reluctant to endorse anything other than discussions between patient and surgeon. 

All the best.