Will MI Paste Plus Affect Laser Whitening Results?

I am having laser whitening done in a month...and already knew I would experience some pain as my teeth are quite sensitive due to acid erosion. But I've just heard about MI paste plus and want to start using it, however, I wondered if it would effect the results of the laser whitening if I started using it now.

Sensitive teeth

+2

No MI paste will not interfere with the whitening results . GC MI Paste contains RECALDENT™ (CPP-ACP) which is made from a natural protein extracted from milk. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO MILK PRODUCTS. RECALDENT™ (CPP-ACP) acts in a dual manner, by providing a source of calcium and phosphate, while also supplying a soluble format for delivery of these essential minerals to the tooth surface.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening and MI paste go hand in hand

+1

MI paste,  as you  can see from the dentists who have answered this question, is fine any time for your teeth. 

My question is what does Laser Whitening mean?  We have many dental whitening options and I am wondering if you are asking about BriteSmile or Zoom?  There is a product called KOR and it is great without much sensitivity if any at all-Check in to it!!!

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

MI paste helps to avoid the sensitivity

+1

The sensitivity after getting the whitening depends on the whitening material and um isolation prior the whitening. In our practice we were switching from one brand to others . They are way different but i recommend to all of the patients to have topical fluoride after procedure and MI paste helps the tooth as well. Vary sensitive teeth are contraindicated to get the whitening. Check the teeth for the cavity , gum recession or bruxism before. these are the major reasons of tooth sensitivity.

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

There are other options to prevent whitening sensitivity

+1

MI paste will help to some extent, but you will need to use it for a very long time (3-6 months) prior to your whitening procedure for it to help with sensitivity.  MI Paste uses amorphous calcium phosphate to help "strengthen" existing enamel by infusing calcium & phosphate salts into tooth structure.  Research shows that this is not a quick process, and one needs to use the product continuously over an extended period of time to appreciate its beneficial effects.

There are other options to prevent whitening sensitivity:

1. Speak to your dentist about having him/her prescribe a desensitizer that you "paint on" every night before bed (some desensitizers that work exceedingly well contain an ingredient known as HEMA).
  2. Consider using ProNamel or Sensodyne at least 2-3 weeks prior to whitening.  These products contain Potassium Nitrate, which will help to some extent.
  3. Ibuprofen 800mgs at least 1 hour prior to your whitening procedure will help prevent inflammation and discomfort to some extent as well, but to prevent "zingers" (or what may feel like a lightning bolt through your tooth) it may be helpful to take 200-400mgs Ibuprofen 4 hours after whitening and every 4-6 hours thereafter, for about a day.

Lastly, it is important to understand that whitening with a UV lamp or laser has been shown to provide no beneficial effect as opposed to using just the whitening gel alone.  The research is replete with evidence that clearly shows that using a light or laser will not improve results in the long term, and that the immediate results shown right after UV-light or laser whitening are due to dehydration of the tooth caused by the heat of the light or laser.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

MI Paste is a fantastic product

+1

MI paste has many uses and to my knowledge has not shown to hinder any teeth whitening process.  As more research comes out and use is more common we will know more, but I would not hesitate.  Take 800 mg ibuprofen 30 minutes prior to the treatment and you should be fine.  Any sensitivity will last 24-48 hours only.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist