Abdominoplasty After Huge Weight Loss in Young Woman?

I was 254 lb and now I'm 150. I have a lot of loose skin and stretch marks, my goal is to reach 130. I'm 24 yo and want to have children later in my life, but also want to enjoy my 20's as a normal girl because I've been overweight since 12 and never had a normal life as teenager. Is it possible to remove some excess skin without risking my chances of having a successful pregnancy later? I don't want to be really tight or too skinny, just average... a want to enjoy my body at least once in lif

Tummy Tuck after Massive Weight Loss

+2

Tummy tuck can be performed after massive weight loss on a young female who plans for future pregnancy.  The main indication is the degree of loose skin and how that affects your quality of life.  A tummy tuck should not affect future pregnancies.  However, the tummy tuck may have to be revised based upon the dynamics of the pregnancy.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I'm 24 and have lost 100 pounds. Can I have a TT and still be able to get pregnant?

+2

Congratulation on your extensive weight loss. After reviewing your history I believe that you can undergo a TT so you will feel much better about yourself. A TT does not prevent future pregnancies but may result in some recurrent looseness of skin and muscles which may necessitate a second TT. But at the same time you want to take advantage of your young age so you can look your optimal best. I would suggest that you consult witha Board Certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

+2

Usually one would wait until after having children before doing a tummy tuck but in your case of very successful weight loss I think you should have a tummy tuck prior to having children.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Abdominoplasty after massive weigth loss

+2

Hello, and CONGRATULATIONS! Cassie,  After reading your message I can tell  you are very well oriented about having this  major surgical  procedure such TT or even  a Circumferential TT (lower Body Lift maybe ??) Nevertheless this important  decision will crown all your efforts and, as you said " be able to  enjoy your 20's"  feeling  confident and happier  with your body contour .   It will not interfere with a future pregnancy.. Actually during the last 10-15 years with the "BUMM" of the Bariatric Procedures (Gastric By-pass, Lap Band and more recently: Sleeve Gastrectomy ) more and more frequently  young people are having this Body Contour Procedures done, yet after Massive Weight Loss.  All the Best

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Massive weightloss, circumferential abdominoplasty, lower bodylift

+2

You have done yourself a great service; I hope you are enjoying the changes in your life.  A tummy tuck may take care of your concern.  Often, however, after a large weightloss like you have had, a circumferential excision of skin can be more helpful. This procedure may be called a circumferential abdominoplasty, or a lower body lift.  The main advantage that it does have over a tummy tuck alone is that it deals with all loose and excess skin of the flanks and helps lift the buttocks into a better position as well.  Ideally, the scar would be kept low, both in front and in the back such that it does not limit the type of bathing suit you can wear after surgery.  Also, either a tummy tuck or a circumferential procedure do not interfere with pregnancy. A consultation with an experienced weightloss surgeon will help you determine what is the best option for you.

Ramin Behmand, MD

Abdominoplasty After Huge Weight Loss

+2

Although we usually advise women to wait until after their pregnancies, that is is guideline with numerous exceptions, this being one of them.

Having a tummy tuck now or after the rest of your weight loss seems completely reasonable. It will not interfere with a future pregnancy, though as with any patient, you don't know how much recovery of the stretched out abdominal tissues will occur, so you may face another surgery to correct abdominal laxity or excess skin in the future.

Congratulations on the weight loss. All the best. 

Abdominoplasty after Weight loss

+2

Congrats on the weight loss!  In your case, having a tummy tuck prior to pregnancy is reasonable.  I can understand you wanting to look good and enjoy the new you!  Be sure to note that you will need to have the tuck again after you are finished having children.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Babies after tummy tuck

+2

I usually tell my patients to wait until they are finished having children before having a tummy tuck. However, in your case its probably not unreasonable to have the tummy tuck now so you can enjoy your new thinner body. After pregnancy, your muscles and skin may stretch again, in which case you may want to have the tuck redone. If you are willing to do this, then go ahead and have the tummy tuck now. Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Reasonable

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss!  A tummy tuck would be a very reasonable option for correcting your abdomal skin laxity.  It would significantly improve your body image and self confidence.  Childbearing will have some efffects, but since it is in the distant future, it is not unreasonable to pursue a tummy tuck at this time. You should have significant improvement in your quality of life.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss and Before Pregnancy?

+2

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your significant weight loss. You should be very proud of this accomplishment.

Based on your history,  life circumstances and plans for pregnancy in the distant future, I think you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. As you know, it is possible that additional surgery may be necessary after you have completed pregnancies as well.

As you state, you will be able to enjoy the results of the tummy tuck surgery until that time.

When the time is right, see consultation with well expensed board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work. I have attached advice I provide my patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery as well:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.