Will Blepharoplasty Reduce Wrinkles Under the Eye?

since I was 20 I had wrinkles under my eyes and got really visible by 40 My question is if blepharoplasty will reduce those wrinkle or eliminate them ? Thank you anticipate

Rejuvenation of the lower eyelids options

+2

You would be a candidate for a  lower eyelid  blepharoplasty.    If you have herniation of orbital fat causing bags of the lower lids with lack of soft tissue fullness.  These features can be corrected with a lower eyelid blepharoplasty with fat repositioning.  An accurate diagnosis of the problem is essential.  .  If the condition is only lose skin then you may want to consider SmartSkin or  SmartXide microablative fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing.   A consult would be needed to advise you which procedure would meet your expectations.  Other choices would include soft tissue fillers such as Juvederm.

Lower eyelid wrinkles and blepharoplasty

+2

Yes, the lower eyelid wrinkles will improve with blepharoplasty.  There may be better options such as laser resurfacing and chemical peels for lesser degrees of wrinkling such as yours.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid blepharoplasty to reduce wrinkles

+2

The primary goal of lower blepharoplasty is to remove the fat bags on the lower lids. If there is extra skin, and it appears in the picture that there is, a small pinch of excess skin can be performed at the lash line on the lower lids. This is typically closed with tissue glue, not sutures. If not interested in a surgical approach for that consideration for fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing can be done on the lower eyelid skin in an attempt to tighten up the skin itself.  

Blepharoplasty generally is not used to eliminate wrinkles

+2

Blepharoplasty generally is not used to eliminate wrinkles unless they are caused by excess skin. If you have hanging skin, removing the skin will reduce the wrinkles. But, blepharoplasty doesn’t do anything about the tone or texture of the skin. It’s usually better to get a laser treatment, chemical peel, or Intense Pulse Light Therapy to treat tone and texture. Also, being treated with BOTOX will help muscle contraction, which may be the cause of fine lines and wrinkles. What I can tell from your picture, you would benefit more from a fraxel treatment (or other laser treatment) than blepharoplasty.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and wrinkles

+2

Obviously there are a number of therapies for lower lid rejuvenation and more than this photo is needed to give you an honest answer.  Lid laxity is critical before entertaining any eyelid surgery as well as the condition of your eyes.  Prior surgery such as lasik is a contraindication to blepharoplasty for about a year after the surgery is performed.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Wrinkle Treatment with Blepharoplasty Plastic Surgery

+2

Different facial wrinkles improve better with different cosmetic therapies. For the lower eyelid, wrinkle reduction may be performed with basic skin care, skin resurfacing such as chemical peel or laser treatment, Botox Cosmetic, or cosmetic surgery.

Blepharoplasty refers to many types of cosmetic surgery of the eyelids. Blepharoplasty can be as simple as skin pinch procedure, reduce just the skin with local anesthesia, or more extensive plastic surgery involving the fat and muscle too.

Based on the single photograph above, one may consider nonsurgical therapy first. Speak with a plastic surgeon to perform a comprehensive evaluation and help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and lower eyelid wrinkles

+2

Typically, lower blepharoplasty is done to decrease lower eyelid skin excess and remove fat bags. It is not an effective treatment for removing lower lid wrinkles. If it is done to do that, it may result in pull down of the lower lid and would best be temporary in nature. The laser resurfacing or chemical peel is a better option for lower eyelid wrinkles. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid Wrinkles and Blepharoplasty

+2

Not all eyelid wrinkles are solved with Blepharoplasty surgery. Believe it or not, different wrinkles will respond better to different therapies.

Finer wrinkles in the lower eyelid correct nicely with chemical peel or laser resurfacing procedures. Since you do not have puffy lower eyelids, that might be a nice option.

Wrinkles that go onto the cheek near the side of the lower eyelid are best treated with Botox.

Horizintal lower eyelid wrinkles from excess skin can be corrected with a Skin pinch procedure, which can be done in the office.

Generally, full blepharoplasty procedures are reserved for patients with wrinkles AND contour problems, such as fat protrusion or muscle thickening.

Hope this helps

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is ridiculous for you to have lower eyelid surgery

+2

For sure someone will offer you lower eyelid surgery.  Lower eyelid surgery is often performed to remove lower eyelid wrinkles.  Frankly it is old thinking.  I think if you go this route, you will mostly likely regret the choice no matter how great your surgeon.  The issue is that you have very little "herniated" lower eyelid fat.  You have a bit of a lower eyelid circle.  In the photo you are smiling just a bit heaping up the lines in the lower eyelid.  Filler, BOTOX, and for you, a chemical peel are your best options.  Don't get cookie cutter surgery that will damage your eyelids.

Eliminating Wrinkles with Belpharoplasty

+2

Yes, if you have a lower lid belpharoplasty, the wrinkles will be significantly improved.  There are several components to the belpharoplasty, which include fat removal, skin tightening and lid tightening.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD