What methods are best to promote healing with HUGE edema problem???

I am 1wk into vag/labiaplasty and my labia minora are HUGE,HARD,LUMPY AND PAINFUL. I can not stop crying over the hideous look &feel. What are all the possible solutions to best heal the tissue? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Healing after labiaplasty

+2
I reviewed your photos. You had a trimming labiaplasty with some postoperative wound opening and marked edema.  There is really nothing to do at this time except to keep the wound clean.  The edema will gradually get better with about 80% gone in 6 weeks and the rest over six months.  You may need a revision of your labiaplasty.  You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend clitoral hood flaps to reconstruct your labia if your surgeon left enough remaining clitoral hood. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

When swollen

+1
elevation is all that can be done at this point.  Keep your surgeon informed of your concerns and problems and understand you will have a long recovery and will likely need revisions once you are completely healed.  I'm sorry you are having to deal with this at all.

Curtis Wong, MD

What methods are best to promote healing with HUGE edema problem??? after labiaplasty.

+1
Thank you for your question and photos. You do have excess swelling, separation of the wound on the right side (reason for your excess pain) and irregular and over resected left side. You had the trim method labial reduction and the lumpiness is from the swelling at the suture line which creates the cross hatching. Right now you need to concentrate on healing and controlling your pain. I suggest antibiotic ointment over the labia (apply with your finger only, not Q tips!). Rinse the area with warm water after urinating and dab the area, do not wipe. Use a small pillow under your buttocks at night to help the swelling resolve faster. Once you heal, need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon for possible labial reconstruction. This is a difficult surgery and you do have one good chance for repair. Right now be patient, follow up with your surgeon for now. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Pain swelling lumpiness after vaginal and labioplasty procedure

+1
What is important to know is what is causing the problem. 

Here  are possible options:

Most likely this is normal de[ending depending on the extent of the procedure performed.
Infection

Hematoma ( blood collection) in the area of the surgery

Hematoma with overexposed infection

Here is what you need to do:

See your surgeon and be examined

He is the one who know the best the extent of the procedure performed and will be able to advise you what needs to be done.

If infection or hematoma is present prompt appropriate  treatment is needed. 

If you are not happy with the answer seek second opinion.

Good Luck

David Evdokimow MD

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon