Methods Taken to Keep Same Belly Button?

Methods to Keep Same Belly Button in Tummy Tuck

+1

The belly button is usually removed from its place on the skin that is discarded, and the belly button is relocated on the new skin flap that is pulled down.

I Have a Seroma After Tummy Tuck

+1

I am not sure that the other surgeons and I are answering the question you mean to ask,  but...

By the standard techniques, you do keep the same navel, as it is left in place during the surgery. The lower skin from the abdomen is removed, the upper skin stretched to fit, and the skin over the navel is incised, and the original navel is sutured in place. Same navel, albeit with a new scar.

If you mean keeping the navel with no scar, that can be done is a limited number of patients who have loose skin the lower abdomen only, and a so-called mini-TT can be performed.  Occasionally, the entire navel can be lifted and lowered a bit if there is just a small amount of laxity in the upper abdomen.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Belly button after tummy tuck.

+1

All the other responses sum up the preservation of the native belly button well. I agree that the smaller the incision the better the result.

I also suggest removing a conical shape of fat from the surrounding area that gives a more natural curve inward giving a natural and attractive result. Many surgeons do not do this and the belly button looks like a button on a flat board. Ask to see photos of the surgeon's work so you have a better idea. 

Good luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

How do you keep the same belly button during a tummy tuck?

+1

There are a number of techniques available.  In a traditional tummy tuck, your original belly button is released from the skin and left attached at the stalk to the underlying abdominal wall.  Once the excess skin and fat are excised, the original belly button is brought out through a new opening in the skin (there are even different techniques for how this opening is made).  This leaves a scar around the belly button.

In a mini tummy tuck, a belly button scar can often be avoided if the skin and fat excised is kept below the level of the belly button. 

Allan Eckhaus, MD

Belly Button or Umbilicus with tummy tuck surgery

+1

During a tummy tuck surgery the original belly button or umbilical stalk is kept and it is brought out and reconnected to the skin of the abdomen after the reduandant portion is removed.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Belly button

+1

When a tummy tuck is done, your original belly button is preserved and then brought through the abdominal skin at the end of the procedure.  So it's you real belly button, but it has a scar around it.  The size of the belly button can be altered with the surgery, however.  I tend to make them a little on the smaller side.  I think they look better and it is easier to enlarge a belly button that came out too small than reduce one that is too big.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Keep Same Belly Button during Tummy Tuck?

+1

During the routine tummy tuck operation, the patient's own belly button is used to achieve the final result.

The appearance of the umbilicus after tummy tuck surgery is of critical importance to most patients. Essentially, it is the only scar visible when patients are wearing undergarments or swimming suits. It can be a telltale sign of a patient who has had abdominoplasty operation.  As much as possible, it is best to keep the belly button relatively small, oval shaped, and attempt to hide the resulting scar.

Tummy Tuck Belly Button

+1

Hi Rometria,

In the typical tummy tuck procedure, you always keep your belly button:

• The belly button (umbilicus) is attached by a "stalk" between the muscles underneath the skin. During surgery, the belly button on its stalk is saved while the rest of the excess lower tummy skin/fat is removed.
  • At the end of the procedure, a new hole is made in the remaining tummy skin and the belly button is sewn in place. That's why there is a scar around the belly button after TT.

Thanks for your question!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon