Best Method to Treat My Acne Scars? (photo)

Hi, I'm a 25 year old Asian male. I had moderate - severe acne a few years back, took 1 course of accutane and haven't had a problem with acne since I was 22. My concern is with discolorations and acne scars (or both in the same place on my right cheek). I've seen a few different dermatologists and have gotten lots of different responses ranging from fraxel restore, subciscion, to filler injections etc. Based on these 4 pictures, what would be the right option for me to explore? Thanks

Acne Scars and Treatment Options

+1

Fraxel DUAL is a good option to look into for you. It’s a non-ablative treatment that induces collagen remodeling. This will address both your acne scarring and discoloration for skin rejuvenation. It targets deeper layers of the dermis with the Erbium fiber component of the laser, which uses a 1,550-nanometer wavelength to normalize the collagen density. To refine the skin, the 1,927-nanometer Thulium fiber component is used. You can also it on darker skin tones.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Asian American Skin-Consider Mixto fractional CO2

+1

Combining the effectiveness of Carbon Dioxide lasers long known to be the GOLD STANDARD in wrinkle removal with an innovative "quadrant" fractional technology and a more tightly focused beam, the MiXto SX® laser delivers uniform tissue ablation to the dermis causing immediate contraction and tissue tightening. A secondary effect is the production of new collagen over the next 6-12 weeks. This advanced technology delivers powerful results without the harsh side effects and downtime of traditional CO2 resurfacing.

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Acne Scars

+1

For the rolling atrohpic scarring seen here, I would suggest a mix of CO2 fractional laser and fraxel laser through the FAST program. The program consists of treatments with both lasers in a 2-step progression helping with resurfacing the skin and rebuilding collagen. The CO2 would focus on indivial scars and the fraxel would help resurfae the entire face. With only a few days of downtime for each, it has permanent results. See the link for more information.

Eric Schweiger, MD