Best Method of Injection for Radiesse?

What is the preferred method of injecting Radiesse for least amount of pain and best results? I have heard of a dental block and freezing the face. Is there alternative methods?

Blocks are not necessary

+1

When Radiesse is mixed with local anesthetic (an off-label use) there has been no need for blocks in my practice. My patients arrive up to one hour before the procedure and we apply a numbing cream to the face. Then the anesthetic-mixed Radiesse is injected.

Nerve blocks are best.

+1

Hi!

Radiesse is useful to plump up the upper cheeks, and to clean up the jaw line.  But it is quite painful, and you cannot rush the injections.  Nerve blocks inside the mouth eliminate the pain, and this is the only way we do it.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Techniques for injecting Radiesse

+1

Having a nerve block (dental block)can numb the face and make the injections virtually painless. Some people do not like this because it involves injections in the mouth and will leave the face, lips, teeth, and eyelids numb and feeliong "heavy" for up to an hour or two afterwards.

Because Radiesse can be mixed with lidocaine, the injections should be very comfortable (no pain after the first "stick").

In addition, I have been using an Intraoral injection technique for a year and a half now and the results have been great. My patients report no pain when done this way. More importantly, there is no bruising and minimal swelling (because there are no needle sticks through the skin). Check with your doctor if they use this intraoral technique because this is not a common way of injecting Radiesse.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Radiesse discomfort is minimal

+1

Radiesse can be given mixed with novocaine after sitting with a topical numbing cream. For the cheeks, I sometimes numb the gums and go through the mouth for even less pain and bruising and no skin marks. 

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Radiesse Injection Pain

+1

If you've never had Radiesse before then you may be overly anxious as most patients very easily tolerate a mixture of the Radiesse with a small amount of anesthetic (similar to the Dentis's Novocaine). Depending on the area a nerve block like a dentist would use can be performed for the lips and cheeks (nasao-labial folds) and lower lip and chin region (marionette lines). A supraorbital nerve block for the forehead can also be done. But remember that the nerve block injections in and of themselves will hurt so it is usually easier to go directly to the Radiesse/lidocaine mixture.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse...No Pain, Lot's of Gain?

+1

Hi Sherman,

For the least amount of pain, have your Radiesse injected while under general anesthesia. If you are not having a concurrent operative procedure then have your injecting physician mix some Lidocaine into the Radiesse prior to injection. In some cases, local anesthetic nerve blocks are helpful.

Having a friend drive you so that you can premedicate with Xanax and Vicodin is another alternative to dull the pain of "beauty". "No pain, no gain".

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Very comfortable injections with Radiesse is easy

+1

The physician numbs the face with topical anesthetic for about 20 minutes. He/She mixes the Radiesse with lidocaine. Apply ice to the face for about 15 seconds. You should have minimal discomfort. If that's not the case. Dental blocks are not needed. In my opinion, the blocks have more discomfort than the injection, and people usually don't like the numb feeling they get from it.

Steven F. Weiner, MD