Best Method for Mole Removal Just out of Smile Crease? (photo)

How do I remove a flat mole from my face? It is just outside where my smile crease is. It is much lighter than it used to be, as 5 years ago I tried scratching it and removing it with a natural remedy. It scabbed, healed and this is what it now looks like. What is the best method, with minimum scarring? Thank You.

Best method for mole removal

+2

Because of the size and location of your mole, it should be removed by excising a simple ellipse of skin. I would then use a "layer closure" using both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. The area then typically heals with a small, linear scar that is hardly visible.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Option for Mole Removal on Cheek

+2

Given the likely scarring from your prior attempt at removal and the irregular color of the lesion, the best option is to excise the pigmented lesion and repair it (i.e. close with absorbable or deep sutures as well as nonabsorbable or percutaneous sutures). You should have a specialist with extensive training and experience in facial surgery to increase your chance of an excellent cosmetic result. This could be a dermatologist or a facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Mole removal of cheek.

+2

It is a little difficult to evaluate the depth of the mole by the photos. However, from what I can see, I would suggest an elliptical excision with a couple layers of sutures which would leave a fine line scar which should fade nicely over time.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

It appears to be located close to your nasolabial fold.  I would recommend a complete surgical excision of the mole.  I would recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for the procedure. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Mole removal

+1

I suggest ellipse excision & layered closure, best performed by dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  When removed, the mole should also be sent to the lab for pathology analysis.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist