Best Method for Alar Base Reduction

What is the most effective n natural method for Alar base reduction, while still retaining the alar flare? I had previous Alar rim reduction. Can my Alar base be any narrower?

Method for alar base reduction

+1

Alar base reduction is typically performed at the bottom of the nostril sill where the curved junction between the floor of the nose and the alar rim come together. Anywhere from 2 to 5 mm of excess skin can be removed in this area and closed with sutures. This can be done as a standalone procedure or done in addition to a rhinoplasty procedure.  

Alar Base Reduction

+1

It does not look like you need further alar base reduction. The lateral edge of the nostril should attach to the face in a line directly below the corner of your eye. Alar flare is seen best in a picture looking up your nose , but I understand you like the flare.

Reducing Nostril Width with Alar Base Reduction

+1

Hi celebie in new york,

As other plastic surgeons have stated, it does not appear you need more nostril narrowing based on the single photograph. Your nose appears proportional.

Generally, rhinoplasty surgeons can alter the flare or width of the nostrils. Alar base reduction may be performed at the initial rhinoplasty surgery, or delayed several months later. Small external incisions are placed at the bottom of the nostrils to narrow & refine the nostril shape. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base surgery is not indicated

+1

Based on the photograph you have submitted, your nasal tip and alar base are in good balance with the rest of your nose.  Further surgery to narrow the ala could be a disaster, both from the aesthetic as well as the functional point of view.

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Alar base surgery revision.

+1
Your alar base is normal now and does not need revision. Leave it alone. More surgery is not needed.

No Further Surgery for Alar Flaring

+1

Hi C,

Your's is another case where most honest plastic surgeons will tell you that you need no further surgery on your alar base.  Sometimes the best surgery is the one that you do not have.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Different techniques of alar base reduction

+1

There are several ways and accepted techniques to reduce the size of the nostrils, change the flaring or narrow the nostrils themselves. From your pictures, it does not appear that you need any additional narrowing. Dr. Minas Constanides is an expert in alar base reduction in New York City.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base excision

+1

Your alar base looks fairly normal in the photos that you posted, and based on this photos, I would probably not narrower it any more.

Looks appropriate

+1

The appropriate average width of your alar base should closely match the width between the inner most part of you eyes (inner canthus). You picture shows this distance to be within normal limits. I agree, I would not attempt to make this any narrower.

Scott R. Brundage, M.D.
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon