Can a Metal Brace Be Used to Reshape Nasal Skin?

I suffered a bad injury to my nose which caused the bone/cartilage to become crooked. I recently had surgery to straighten the bone/cartilage, but the appearance has remained largely the same, because the new shape isn't visible with the twisted skin covering it. I have very good reason to believe that the skin will not naturally contract: the injury occurred many years ago. My question: can a foreign article, such as a metal brace, be inserted in order to forcibly reshape the skin?

Don't use a metal brace.

+2

When a nasal trauma has occurred, many structures are affected: skin, subcutaneous tissue, cartilage, bone, mucosa,... After a reconstructive nose surgery, the goal is not skin deffects repair. Usually, when observing a problem as the one you describe, the "SKIN DEFFECT" is produced due to a underneath (subcutaneous tissue, bone, cartilage) problem. An aesthetic rhinoplasty will usually correct this small problems that reconstructive/reparative nose surgery (acute or sub-acute) do not correct. Exceptionally, the problem can be due to a soft tissue deffect only; in these cases a dermal filler can help you (Restylane Sub-Q or Juvederm Voluma).

But definitely, I don't know nothing that a "metallic brace" can correct or solve.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Persistent crooked and irregular nose shape after trauma and surgery

+1

Usually the skin overlying the nose cartilage and bone components re-drapes to conform to the changes made in the cartilage and bone underneath. Skin is rarely changed in reconstructive rhinoplasty surgery and usually is not the reason for the nose being crooked. It may be that the structures under the skin need more work. If, on the other hand, too much cartilage or bone was damaged by the injury or removed in the surgery, the nose may have lost its structure and the overlying skin will appear amorphous and thick; in such cases the underlying bone and cartilage must be rebuilt with grafts so that the nose has some definition.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon