I Met with an Accident and the Lateral Part of the Eyelid is Deformed. Is There Any Surgical Remedy for This? (photo)

Dear Doc I met with a bike accident and suffered injury around my eye. Presently I am applying Mederma and the scar is healing to some extent. The skin got lacerated near on and around eyelid. My vision is fine but 4 months after the accident the eyelid at the later part got deformed. My query is whether this can be rectified by any surgical procedure?

Minimizing Scar Formation of the Eyelid

+2

While you may be going through a normal healing process  which can take over one year you also maybe developing excessive scar formation which will not respond to the Mederma you are using.  If the latter is the case then I think it would be in your best interest if you be evaluated sooner than later by specialist within  Dermatology, Facial Plastic Surgery, Oculoplastic Surgery or Plastic Surgery.  There are many treatments that can be utilized to minimize the appearance of the scar including, topical compression with silicone, injections of steroids and 5-FU (a chemotherapy drug) or light or laser based therapy.  Massage of the scar several times a day while you are waiting for a consultation may facilitate the healing process as well.

Saint Paul Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloids and hypertrophic scars can be treated with intralesional injections of Kenalog

+2

If the scar is improving on its own, it may be just a matter of time, however if this raised part seen in your photo remains, I recommend that you consult with a board certified dermatologist regarding some intralesional kenalog injections to soften and flatten the scar.

Please be aware that some of the potential side effects of cortisone injections include lightening and thinning of the skin.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyelid scars that are thick and red

+1

This is a hypertrophic eyelid scar that can be improved with IIT and laser.  I would begin treatment early to prevent thickening of the scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar lower lid 4 months old

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. Generally speaking scar take more than four months to settle. Usually 16-18 months. So your scar will continue to change for another year. If maderma is helping then you can continue to use it. My advice for you, however, is to see a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist at this early stage for more options on how to make the scar better. Good luck.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD