Mesotherapy Vs Liposuction

Mesotherapy not better than Lipo

+2

With liposuction, the amount of fat removed is measured and easily controlled in the right hands. Mesotherapy involves the injection of nonstandardized chemical that are meant to "dissolve" fat.

I have several patients who present to me for liposuction who have tried mesotherapy and report no improvement, or even a few who state that treated areas increased in size. In fairness, those patients with excellent results wouldn't present to my office for liposuction. I get the sense there are not many patients satisfied with the results, however.

If mesotherapy did actually work, there is another issue to consider in my opinion. Where does the fat, lipid, and cholesterol go? Hopefully we don't find in the future that it leads to premature vascular disease or heart disease.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Mesotherapy--if it sounds too good,etc.

+2

Only liposuction really works. We have seen many "simple, minimally invasive, innovations" during the past thirty years of plastic surgery.
If these things really worked everyone would be having it done with great success. What's "hot" today is what everyone shows on TV, even though it doesn't work. That is what drives the media, not real medicine.

Mesotherapy is not proven

+2

Mesotherapy for body contouring involves the injection of substances which are intended for other purposes; normally this is considered "off-label" by the FDA and would be perfectly legal if it is the doctor's judgment that it is a reasonable treatment option. In this case, it is one of the few that is explicitly prohibited by the FDA, and so it remains highly controversial.

Liposuction, on the other hand, has a long track record of safety and effectiveness. Some skepticism is advised about laser-assited lipo, however, as there is a lack of reported data to demonstrate any additional benefit.

This is surprising given that it has been on the market for a few years and there should be some proof. The studies that have been published have found no benefit over liposuction using standard techniques.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction is better

+2

Petite,

I see several patients each month who have undergone several rounds of mesotherapy with minimal or no results at all. Once these patients undergo liposuction and see the dramatic results they are very happy. Now, it may be that only those patients that fail mesotherapy end up coming in for liposuction consultations. However, there is no question that liposuction works and can lead to consistent and excellent results.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery
New York City

David Shafer, MD

Meso therapy does not work, liposuction does

+1

Mesotherapy does not really work the way it is practiced today. Most experts agree. Liposuction has been refined over 30 years and works in the right hands. Check the doctor's credentials first, Nasim Huq

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Vs Nonsurgical...

+1

There are several differences between Mesotherapy and Liposuction.  For starters, Mesotherapy dissolves fat with a series of injections and requires no downtime.  With Liposuction the fat is suctioned out of your body using a cannula, and you will need some time to recover.  Mesotherapy is good for very small areas, while Liposuction is needed for larger areas.  I would recommend making a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see which procedure best accommodates you.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is the way to go

+1

Mesotherapy is not FDA approved, is not standardized, and there is no way to know what kind of results you are going to get.

Liposuction, on the other hand, works. There are many different types that are being promoted, and each has its own pros and cons, but all of them physically remove fat from below the skin surface in a standardized fashion.

Go with something that is known to work rather than an experiment.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Liposuction is still the gold standard

+1

As of today Mesotherapy has not been approved by the FDA. Therefore, its safety has not been established. Although it sounds great, it has to pass the test of peer review which it has not. The hope is that it will prove to be effective. For now, Liposuction is the "gold standard" and is an established and effective treatment for body contouring.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

DON'T do mesotherapy!

+1

Unless you are happy being a guinea pig, don't even consider mesotherapy. There is no FDA approval for this procedure and nobody even knows if it works or exactly what should be in the slurry that is injected into you! So go with liposuction with an excellent ABPS certified surgeon and you will be safe and happy!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mesotherapy is dangerous in any doctor's hands.

+1

Mesotherapy is a great hoax being played upon the American public. It does not work! It has significant complications and is uncontrolled. Any doctor who tells you differently, want your money more than good results. I have had to take care of numerous patients with severe complications from mesotherapy. All performed by "reputable" doctors. I have seen severe dimpling, discoloration and even complete skin death requiring skin grafts. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with liposuction, not some so called cosmetic surgeon who thinks they can remove fat by injection chemicals thru a needle.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD