I Want To Reduce My Implant Size Due To Back Pain And Sagging. Will One Cup Size Down Achieve This?

I Have Mentor Saline Implants Filled to 425cc Which Has Me at a 34DD Bra Size. I had the procedure done about 8 years ago & have been extremely happy with them up until recently. I have noticed them getting lower & my back hurting more. I assume this.is all because of the weight. I am considering having them replaced with smaller implants that take me down to a size D, not sure on how many cc's that would equal too. My question is if I do have them reduced, will one cup size smaller help them sit higher for longer & reduce my back pain? And by how much on both?

Breast Implants and Back Pain

+1

As my colleagues have pointed out, your breast implants may or may not be the main factor causing your back pain.

Simply changing to smaller implants would only reduce your breast weight a small amount and not likely be enough of a reduction to expect improvement in your back symptoms. Even completely removing the implants and receiving a breast lift would not necessarily cause your back to feel better.

I agree with the opinion that a medical evaluation of your back for other possible causes of pain should be carried out.

On the other hand, I believe that there are good reasons for you to consider reducing your implant size as well as undergoing a breast lift. Without examining you, it's impossible to say how much smaller your new implants should be. Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise you in that regard.

Good luck!

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Back pain from breast implants

+1

In order to see a difference you will need to reduce your present implants by at least 100cc, though there is no guarantee that you will notice any improvement in back pain. The weight of the implants is not that significant, and the reduction will also not help them sit higher without a lift.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Breast Implants and Back Pain?

+1

Based on a history of having had implants for 8 years and the recent onset of back pain I do not think that the breast implants are necessarily responsible for the back pain. I would suggest seeing your primary care physician and ruling out other potential causes of the back pain. If you have developed breast ptosis (drooping), the  lower position of the breasts  can contribute to back pain and mastopexy ( breast lifting) may be helpful.

Again, I would suggest ruling out other causes of back pain before proceeding with breast surgery. Unfortunately, there is no accurate way to predict what size implant would be necessary to achieve a specific cup size. 

If revisionary surgery is decided upon it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.   I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Your Back Pain May Not be Related to Your Implants

+1

It is unusal in my experience to see back pain even from large implants.  If your implants are on top of the muscle, changing them to a submuscular location will help to prevent some of the sagging.  I would suggest looking into other causes of back pain as well.  Ask your plastic surgeon what he or she thinks.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon