Can Mental Stress Cause Breast Implants to Rupture?

my saline implants ruptured, i think its due to high mental stress. can my extreme mental stress cause pressure on my breast to cause it to rupture? my implants ruptured suddenly during a very difficult, highly stressed day in my life. has there been any studies?

Extreme Physical Not Mental Stress can cause implant rupture

+1

Mental Stress will not affect the integrity of your breast implants nor cause them to rupture although Physical Trauma potentially could result in an implant rupture.

Mental stress and implants

+1

Mental stress should have no effect on your implants structure.  Implants are pretty durable and require a lot of force to rupture.

Mental stress and breast implant rupture

+1

To our knowledge, mental stress cannot cause implant rupture. The shell of breast implants is very durable, and been tested to withstand signifcant physical pressure. If your implants are over ten years old, they are at higher risk of rupture. Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Mental Stress is not equivalent to Physical Stress.

+1

You may be confused with a term that we use when referring to shear and stress forces that cause an implant to rupture. This is a physical force rather than related to the mental anguish that you are experiencing.

Psychological Stress CANNOT Rupture Breast Implants

+1

Although it may lead to high blood pressure, teeth gnashing, GI upset, fast heart rate etc stress cannot materially impact any implants, including breast implants.Psychological stress does not translate into a physical force remotely capable of rupturing breast implants.

Breast implants do not leak because of anything you did.

+1

Hi.

Breast implants leak because a little area in the covering wears out (material fatigue).  Stress has nothing to do with it.  It is extremely unusual for both implants to leak at the same time. So I think there is a missing piece in the story?

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mental stress will not cause implant rupture

+1

saline implants have limited life span. They come with 10 years of warrenty and if your implants are les that 10 years, please call your plastic surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Mental stress and implant rupture

+1

Mental stress does not affect the integrity of the implant.  They are very very strong and even with extreme muscle spasm on top of them, they won't break.

Your implants ruptured either as a result of wearing out, or perhaps a defect in workmanship, or perhaps some other mechanical thing.  That is why they come with a warranty.

By the way, the ruptured implant won't hurt you so don't worry about that.  Just get in to get it fixed in a reasonable time period.

I suggest you find a way to de- stress and learn to unwind.

Good luck

Scott E. Kasden, MD