How Will Menstral Cycle Affect my Tummy Tuck? Should I Reschedule?

My tummy tuck may be the same time as my tummy tuck is scheduled Should I schedule around it? I may not be able to because of my vacation time So is that going to Affect my surgery?

Menstrual cycle and aesthetic surgery

+2

Dear Butterflies123,

you are absolutely right to ask this question, and I disagree with all the other male Plastic Surgeons who just answered you.

Overall, your menstrual cycle should not interfere with a Tummy tuck procedure per Se.

BUT, as a woman, I can tell you that yes, during the PMS and onset of  menses most of us will feel bloated, cranky, moody, irritable etc...

You will not be allowed to take any Advil or any related meds with Aspirin -containing substances for any headaches and cramping because of PMS before any surgery: these medications may increase bruising and bleeding too during the surgery.

You may feel more sensitive to pain and discomfort after the surgery too.

So to best answer you, I would tell you that cosmetic surgery is to make you look nice.It is 100 % elective. So put the best chances on your side, and schedule your elective Tummy Tuck in the middle of your cycle: You will not have to deal with the added annoyance of PMS.

Best of luck

Florence Mussat

Menstruation Is Not Usually A Problem During Cosmetic Surgery

+2

Unless you are a particularly heavy bleeder or suffer a lot of menstrual discomfort that is near debilitating, then you should have no problem with having your tummy tuck while on your monthly cycle. Many women have all sorts of cosmetic surgery that coincides with their cycle without any adverse effects.

Web reference: http://www.eppleytummytuck.com

Monthly Period and Cosmetic Surgery

+1

In my opinion there is no reason to postpone your surgery because it may coincide with your period. In itself the period does not increase your surgical risks. Moreover, we you know periods are often unpredictable. As all surgeons can attest it is NOT uncommon for women to begin having their period unexpectedly during surgery. The OR staff is used and prepared for such events. 

Best of Luck from Memphis

Peter A Aldea, MD

Sudden menstruation it is frecquent during preop surgery

+1

please dont worry it is frecquent than happens if you get a  good  tampoon or  a towell, unless you get a vaginal rejuvenation surgery.

dont give so much importance to it  that is all

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

No need to schedure your tummy tuck around to menstral cycle

+1

There is talk about bleeding issues with surgery at the time of yor period, though we have not found any truth in it. There is no reason to change your surgery date because of your period unless you feel it is best for you alone.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and menstruation

+1

I have plenty of patients who show up for all sorts of procedures (including breast implants and tummy tucks) having recently gotten their period, including just that day.  I have not seen any medical problems (i.e., bleeding problems) as a result. If you were my patient I would not cancel the surgery.  Best of luck to you.