Menopause Weight Gain, When To Have Surgery?

I am in perimenopause period right now and I hate the appearance of my abdomen and love handles. I have been very serious about liposuction. Even if I diet and excercise I don't know if I can control my weight gain during menopause. Should I wait until post menopause to have it done. I have been in my perfect weight since highschool and right now I am 27 BMI. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Liposuction and menopause

+1

There is no benefit to waiting til after menopause to have the procedures if those areas are bothersome to you now.  It is very important, however, not to gain weight after liposuction.  That is the number one cause of dissatisfaction with the procedure.

+1

This is a bit difficult to answer without pictures or an exam and a review of your medical history.  If you have loose skin on your abdomen and are close to goal weight, then a tummy tuck can certainly be considered.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction and tummy tuck procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Menopause, Body Weight, and Liposuction

+1

You are a few ticks above ideal BMI, indicating that regardless of your decision to have liposuction, you should consider lifestyle change to reduce body weight (unless you are a body builder and your excess weight is muscle).

On the one hand, having liposuction will not significantly reduce your weight, on the other, loosing the weight prior will not necessarily improve the contour of your belly and flanks (love handles).  What I tell my prospective patients is that if you are committed to surgery, then part of the commitment should also be to a full effort to change your lifestyle (life long diet and exercise program).

Whether you decide to follow through with surgery prior or after weight reduction should be a decision based on the recommendation of a responsible surgeon (if you really have too much excess fat, you should probably wait on surgery).  If that is not the case, then having liposuction before or after weight loss is equivocal.  Similarly, having liposuction before or after menopause will probably not make a difference.  However, if you choose to wait on liposuction until after entering menopause, then you should have already been successful at reducing your excess body weight through lifestyle change.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Timing of your plastic surgery

+1

If you are happy with a BMI of 27 and desire improvement in problem areas such as your abdomen and love handles, then there is no need to wait until menopause to kick in to have surgery. If you are looking to lose weight with the help of surgery, then you will be disappointed. Liposuction and body contouring surgery are not good weight loss modalities. There are better ways to lose weight, such as strict caloric restrictions, daily exercise, and a healthy balanced diet. If your weight gain since high school is due to a metabolic or systemic problem, then you should be evaluated by your family physician with lab work to determine a cause of your weight gain. Thanks for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Menopause and Tummy Tuck

+1

If you are at a good weight for your body frame, then a tummy tuck could be considered.  Consider having a physical and lab test to confirm that you are a good surgical candidate.  Discuss your concerns and expectations with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD