Menopause After Tummy Tuck. Will it Ruin My TT Results?

Im 46 years old and scheduled to have a TT next month. My concern is that once I hit menopause, I will gain a bunch of fat in my midsection and ruin the results. Even with careful diet and execise, most people gain weight in menopause (even women who have never had weight problems). I dont want to wait until after menopause because the risks are greater the older you get, and if I follow in my mother's footsteps, that could be another 10 years. How often does this happen and should I be concerned?

Menopause

+1

There seems to be a tendency for weight gain with menopause. Where that weight will end up is genetically determined

Menopause effect on tummy tuck

+1

Menopause should not significantly alter your tummy tuck results.  The goal of a tummy tuck is to remove extra skin and re-tighten the abdominal muscles that have been damaged either from pregnancy or large weight loss.  Menopause should not create extra skin and should not damage your abdominal muscles and thus should not alter your tummy tuck results.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy tuck and menopause

+1

Gaining few pounds due to menopause or changes of metabolism related to aging would not have any paradoxical impacts on the results of tummt tucks. Abdominoplasties may need to be revised only after significant weight loss, not due to accumulation of fat in the mid-abdomen. Do not let expected menopause influence your decision for your planned surgery. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Menopause and tummy tucks

+1

I do not think that menopause will affect the results of your tummy tuck. The choice to do it is yours.

Tummy Tuck and Menopause

+1

I am not aware of problems in my tummy tuck patients when they reach menopause. The benefits of a tummy tuck are usually long-lasting, unless you gain a significant amount of weight. If your tummy bothers you now, why wait and delay the satisfaction of improving it?

Andres Taleisnik, MD

+1

I would have to say that it must be uncommon for menopause to ruin a TT, having followed patients for years.

The time to do these kinds of procedures is the time at which you will have enjoyment of the results. Waiting years to improve something that bothers you now because of concerns about aging will cause paralysis in all kinds of planning. Sounds like you have made a sensible decision to go ahead. Best wishes.