Prep for 16 Dental Crowns 6 Days Ago, Still in Pain?

I suffered from HG(Hyperemesis gravidarum) during both of my pregnancies. I now need all 26 of my teeth crowned. Last Saturday I had all 16 of my back teeth prepped and temps applied. I had to have 14 shots because it wears off faster on me. For the first 3 days Motrin 600, Lorcet 10/650, Flexiril 10mg, did not even touch the pain. Now if I take the meds RIGHT on time it is under control. But I am scared to death of the next appointment. Is it normal to have this much pain? Sorry no photos Jenn

Jenn...too much pain for this type of procedure

+2

When you are doing this much dentistry, I would have requested that you have sedation dentistry so you are relaxed and all of the procedure is done without stress and anxiety. I would also have given you the choice of oral sedation which works very well making difficulty procedures go much faster.  I am not sure a NSAID would benefit before the procedure. You did not mention whether you had any type of sedation before the procedure and I think this is necessary for a procedure like this. I would have used a different anesthetic agent and injection method.....you had trememdous trauma going on in your mouth and now you have the pain under control, but now you have fear in your head regarding the next procedure. Please make sure you discuss the procedure with your doctor and premedication that will make this go a little easier for both of you!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after teeth preparation

+2

Such intense pain is not typical for such a procedure. Full mouth reconstruction is not an easy project and requires absolute clinical skills and planning from the dentist. Usually we premedicate patient who will undergo for example full arch preps. Usually we use Diflunisal 500 mg 2 days before the procedure- that allows to avoid pain and swelling. The pain can be caused by multiple shots, intensity of the procedure, provisional crowns, etc. Flexeril is really not a good drug of choice in your situation. Talk to your dentist about possible premedication and using stronger long-lasting anesthetics like Marcaine (that is usually used for long procedures).

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Post op discomfort with full mouth reconstruction

+2

I am so sorry you are having trouble.  No fun having to go through this.  Unfortunately, if the teeth were in bad enough shape that ALL of them have to be crowned, it may be that some of them are bad enough to need root canals, too.  Everyone has different tolerances for pain, too, and it sounds like things are getting better rather than worse, so maybe you are just very reactive to the trauma of having a lot of heavy dental work done.  If the teeth continue to improve, you may want to place the definitive restorations and expect that most likely, they will continue to improve.  Teeth can have a mind of their own at times and with that many needing treatment, statistically the odds are high that a couple could give you trouble.  You WILL get through it and come out better on the other side, I'm sure.  Do your best to keep them clean going forward and watch any dietary risks like high sugar and high acid foods and drinks.  This is the only thing you can do to help your dentistry last as long as possible, so you won't have to go through this again.  I recommend daily flossing and a sonicare toothbrush.  If the hyperemesis is behind you, of course that will help!  Best wishes and good luck!

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

16 preps and having pain?

+2

Yes it is common to have pain to hot and cold. If the teeth are sensitive to percussion you may end up needing root canals. At your next appointment you may need injections to try in your crowns, you may also want your dentist to put the crowns in with temporary cement to make sure the sensitivity calms down.  Good Luck.

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD      CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist