Can Turmeric & Arnica Tablets Help in the Recovery Process? (photo)

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. Can arnica tablets & the turmeric herb help in bruising & swelling? Also I was going to use coconut oil on my scar is there anything that you'd recommend instead? Lastly is it true that the tighter the skin is pulled may result in less swelling?

Bruisestick prescription for bruising

+1

Our office prescribes Bruisestick ointment for application on the skin. The product contains both Arnica and Bromelain.

Arnica and other dietary supplements have no positive effect on bruising.

+1

The benefits of dietary supplements are questionable at best. There some evidence to suggest that article might actually increase bruising. Don't take anything that's not approved by your surgeon.

Turmeric and arnica

+1

I have never heard of using turmeric and I doubt it's of any use.  Many surgeon, including myself, recommend arnica to reduce bruising, but there are no actual studies on whether of no it works.  Pulling skin tighter is not a tactic see to reduce swelling.  The skill should be pulled just the right amount.  Too tight can cause its own problems.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Can Turmeric & Arnica Tablets Help in the Recovery Process?

+1

Arnica is probably OK.  Healthy people at ideal weight should have the best overall recovery, but some of this will depend upon the surgical technique and adherence to postoperative protocols.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling

+1
Hi Realfitmom. You look fit and should get a good result. I have all my patients take Arnica. Whether it helps? Who knows. The tighter the skin is pulled the better the result. The problem is if you pull too tight, the incision could then fall apart. Swelling is not dependent on tightness.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Alternative Therapies

+1

Arnica has a spotty track record, and is considered slightly better than placebo at best in reducing bruising.  Turmeric is unproven.  Coconut oil is unproven.  If you want the finest scar possible, consider post operative tape therapy to mechanically reduce the forces of tension that are the leading cause of thickened scars.  Although something as simple as paper tape works, more elastic, perforated tapes like 'Hypofix' have greater efficacy in my practice.  A new product called 'Embrace' combines the scar whitening/softening effects of silicone sheeting with the mechanical force reduction of elastic tape.  It should also be an effective, proactive product, based on the already proven qualities it possesses. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS