I'm having a revision for my Tummy Tuck?

At my 6 week appt I was planning on addressing my concerns with my Dr, but after one look at my tummy I didn't have the chance to say anything he addressed the issue immediately. My belly still had loose skin & appeared saggy. He said he could do the revision as early as 4 months PO, but I've decided to go with 5 months instead. I'm providing some pics & hoping someone can provide me with some answers. My left side appears to still have some residual fat left could it just be very swollen still?

+2

In my experience an immediate revision abdominoplasty is highly unusual. While your photos didn't come through, many patients don't have realistic expectations about what can actually be accomplished. I come from Utah where the mothers have many children, and am experienced with tummy tucks. One of my mom's had given birth to 14 children. That being said, if lipo is done to significantly reduce the fat in the flaps being tightened, then the surgeon has to be exceedingly conservative on the amount of skin being removed and the tightness of the skin, which can compromise blood flow and lead to significant skin loss within the flaps. In doing a full abdominoplasty, I usually do only a little lipo in the flap, in exchange for having tighter skin, and coming back and finishing the lipo at a later date.

I do many fewer full tummy tucks these days, and instead do aggressive lipo around the entire abdominal torso and remove the skin low in the abdomen and take about 2" of the hair bearing area in the the pubis, do not relocate the umbilicus unless absolutely necessary and carry the incision to the sides the same distance as in a full tummy tuck. This way the scar can be hidden in a bikini, we get up to 25% tightening of the skin both around and vertically just with the aggressive lipo and the recovery is much shorter, with much better placed scars. This isn't for every patient, but may help you with your revision if aggressive lipo is done along with removing skin and lowering the scar.

Dr. Seare

Carlsbad Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question. I have looked at your pictures on your review and the excess skin as well as asymmetry that you mention are visible. There is no doubt that you will benefit from revisionary surgery. Make sure that you discuss all your concerns with your plastic surgeon so that they can be addressed at the time of the revision. For example, if the excess skin/adipose ttissue of the flank areas ( “muffin tops") are also of concern, best to address them during this procedure as opposed to “needing” additional surgery down the line.

Tummy tuck revision in Los Angeles

+1

There may be some residual skin laxity that can be addressed with a revision abdominoplasty. We wish you the best in your revision.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles Plastic Surgery

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck revision

+1

Your question was not accompanied by photos, but it sounds like the problem is pretty straightforward and your surgeon can correct it with a revision. Revisionary procedures are just part of plastic surgery and it sounds like your surgeon has a good plan which will address your concerns.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy Tuck revision safe after 3 months

+1

You are lucky to have a honest surgeon who is willing to provide the revision surgery. I think 3 months wait time is fine to have a revision procedure if it is loose skin and you are completely healed. Otherwise, you will see improvement up to one year after the procedure.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Your surgeon was honest with you

+1

and should be given the chance to make it right. The longer you can wait, the more predictable the result so waiting even longer is even better if it fits your schedule.

Curtis Wong, MD

Revision Abdominoplasy

+1

Swelling can persist for up to 3 months following abdominoplasty. I usually wait 6 months for revisions when possible. This is based upon necessary healing time as well as final outcomes. Surgery results often evolve for several months. It is best to wait for this healing process to be complete, or risk under/overcorrection of the problem. Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD